Section: Field Hockey

Field hockey defeats former NCAC foe Allegheny College

Kenyon field hockey continued their early season success this week, winning two of three games. The Owls first earned a 3-2 win against Washington and Jefferson College (Pa.), before splitting a pair of weekend games in which they fell 7-0 to Shenandoah University and beat Allegheny College 2-0.

The team has been guided to success by Coach Morgan Brozena, who described the start of the season with high praise for the team. “We played 3 games in 4 days and against strong competition,” she wrote in an email to the Collegian. “Our bench is deep this year and every player is stepping up into their role quite well.”

In the away match at Washington and Jefferson on Thursday, the Owls started off relatively slow, but took control of the game during the second quarter. After outshooting the Presidents 7-1, Carolyn Herbosa ’23 scored Kenyon’s first goal. After the Presidents took a 2-1 lead into the fourth quarter, Ella Haskins ’25 assisted Karina Bharatiya ’24 to tie the game. Not long after, Hannah Paprotna ’24 took a penalty corner for the Owls, passing to Grace Lane ’25, which resulted in a 3-2 victory for Kenyon.

On Saturday, Kenyon faced the undefeated Shenandoah Hornets for the first home game of the season. At half time, the Hornets were outshooting the Owls 14-2 and had a 4-0 lead. Kenyon’s offense picked up in the fourth quarter as they earned three penalty corners, but were unable to convert. They were defeated by a score of 7-0.

Following the loss, the Owls were back home at the Benson Bowl to play Allegheny College the next day. Kenyon took a first quarter lead, thanks to a goal from Haskins, assisted by Kiersten Hoffman ’25. Within the same quarter, Haskins scored Kenyon’s second goal with the help of Bharatiya. Megan Lydon ’25 and Payton Doan ’23 made eight saves, and Bella Kern ’23 led the team with five shots in a 2-0 win.

The Owls will head to Springfield, Ohio where they will face Wittenberg University on Saturday, Sept. 17. Brozena is optimistic about her team’s chances against the Tigers and the rest of the season. “We are looking for some redemption this year,” she said. “We had a great season last year which ended abruptly [in the NCAC semifinal game] and our goal is [to] get back in the conference tournament this year and to go even further than last year.”