Track and field teams take fifth at Wooster Invitational

Riley Orth ’24 winds up for a throw. | COURTESY OF KENYON ATHLETICS

This past weekend, Kenyon’s track and field teams competed in their first outdoor meet of the 2022 season — the Wooster Invitational — after a month without any official events. Both the Lords and Ladies finished in fifth place. 

Lords

Despite a low overall score, the Lords certainly had many noteworthy moments. Both Riley Orth ’24 and Tapiwa Gono Phiri ’25 secured first-place finishes in their respective events: shot put and the 200-meter dash. Orth’s shot put throw came in at 14.16 meters, a full half-meter more than the second-place finisher. Gono Phiri, meanwhile, finished the 200-meter dash in 22.59 seconds. 

Gono Phiri felt particularly accomplished given his hard training sessions. “It’s really motivating to see,” he said. “I know how painful [training] has been, but it’s really satisfying to see the results.” The Lords also had strong performances in the 100-meter dash, where Gono Phiri placed third with a time of 11.21 seconds, and the long jump, where Emmanuel Makelele ’25 finished in fifth (5.97 meters). Despite finding some individual success in the meet, the Lords finished fifth with a total of 54 points, as Case Western Reserve University and Mount Union College tied for first with 174 points. 

Ladies

The Ladies tallied a total of 33 points at this meet, 18 of which came from impressive finishes by Paula Sorić ’25 in the triple jump and long jump. In the triple jump event, she logged a distance of 11.15 meters, earning a first-place finish. In the long jump, Sorić recorded a distance of 5.01 meters, which earned her a second-place finish. 

Sorić felt happy to have the support of her teammates after putting in so much hard work into training for the season. “A lot of times it takes a while for the results of hard work to show, and it’s easy for frustration to build up. Everyone is really supportive of each other and wants to see their teammates succeed,” she wrote in an email to the Collegian

Maya Virdell ’24 joined Sorić with a notable finish in the long jump, recording a distance of 4.60 meters and earning her a seventh-place finish. The Ladies boasted five other top-10 finishes at this meet, two of which came in the 5,000-meter run from Alice Riley ’23 (fifth place) and Ella Wilson ’23 (eighth place). The shot put event was another success for the Ladies, with Eras Yager ’23 and Cat Madden ’24 finishing sixth and eighth, respectively. Finally, Virdell placed fifth in the 400-meter hurdles event. Though the Ladies were able to find individual success in various events, they struggled to find team success, earning points in only five of 20 events.

The team looks to bounce back at the Marv Frye Invitational at Ohio Wesleyan University, which will take place this weekend on April 9.