Section: Golf

No. 20 Lords finish third at NCAC/OAC Clash in Apple Valley

Armand Ouellette ’25 finished third overall in the tournament, shooting a 141. | COURTESY OF MIKE MUNDEN

On Saturday and Sunday, the Lords golf team competed in the NCAC/OAC Clash at Apple Valley Golf Club in Howard, Ohio. No. 20 Kenyon finished third with a score of 579, just five strokes back of No. 21 Denison University and No. 4 Wittenberg University. Despite strong efforts from Wittenberg, Denison took home the crown after winning on a tiebreaker. 

On the first day of competition, Nick Lust ’22 and Armand Ouellette ’25 both finished under par. Lust shot 2 under for a score of 70, which put him in a tie for third place. Ouellette found himself in a tie for fifth place with a score of 71. The Lords had three golfers finish over par, as Andrew Kotler ’22 was 1 over par with 73 strokes (T-11th), Eric Lifson ’22 went three over with a score of 75 (T-28th) and Ethan Manalo ’22 finished four over with 76 strokes (T-37th). 

On Sunday, Ouellette continued his strong play. With a par of 72 strokes, he shot 1 under to finish the tournament with a score of 141, tying for third place. Ouellette attributed his success to remaining calm. “I just tried to stay steady emotionally, never get too high or too low,” he wrote in an email to the Collegian. “It’s a long day out there, and if you get down on yourself early it’s difficult to come back from.” 

Lust posted a score of 74 on the second day and finished the tournament in sixth place, with a score of 144. Kotler tied for 12th place with his score of 147. Lifson finished with a 148 and Manalo with a 149, putting them in ties for 18th and 22nd place, respectively. Ouellette credited the team for shooting well collectively and avoiding high stroke totals. “We didn’t make a lot of birdies as a team, but limiting the number of holes we make double bogey or worse on is the most important thing for consistency in the long run,” he said.

The Lords will return to the green on Friday, when they travel to Mansfield, Ohio to compete in the NCAC Championship. Ouellette cited the Lords’ success at the Clash as evidence of the team’s potential. “We learned that we are as good as anyone in the country when we play well, and I think the confidence from our performance this spring will carry over into conference championship week,” he said.