Lords finish 11-7, Ladies go 11-9 as NCAC tournament nears

Lords

On Saturday, the Lords tennis team faced off against Allegheny College in the last match of the regular season. With a 7-2 victory, the Lords ended their season with an 11-7 record, including a 3-0 record in NCAC play.

Kenyon started off the day with a win in the No. 2 doubles match, as Luis Andres Platas ’23 and Eric Zhang ’25 picked up an 8-2 victory. In the No. 3 doubles match, Rishil Kondapaneni ’25 and Thomas Kallarakal ’23 prevailed in a close 8-6 set. Allegheny’s only doubles win came in an 8-4 victory over Christian Picot ’25 and Christophe Leblanc ’25. 

While Platas fell in the No. 1 singles match to the Gators with a score of 7-5, 6-2, the Lords cruised the rest of the way. Kallarakal won 6-1, 6-4 in the No. 2  singles match, while Kondapaneni picked up a 6-3, 6-3 victory. In the No. 4, 5 and 6 singles matches Zhang, Henry Wessel ’22 and Rakkan Audeh ’25 each won in straight sets. 

For his effort this week, Kallarakal was awarded the men’s tennis NCAC Player of the Week award. 

The Lords will play Ohio Wesleyan University in the NCAC Tournament in Granville, Ohio on Friday, where they will be the No. 1 seed from the East Division. Denison University earned the other No. 1 seed as they finished atop the West Division.

Ladies

The Ladies swept Otterbein University and Allegheny College this weekend before losing a close matchup  to No. 30 Denison. In doing so, they improved their record on the season to 11-9.

Kenyon began doubles play with an 8-1 win in the No. 3 spot thanks to Lalasa Nagireddy ’25 and Catriona MacIntosh ’23. At the No. 2 doubles match, Erika Pontillo ’23 and Anna Winslow ’22 were victorious with a score of 8-5. In the final doubles match, Daria Beshentseva ’22 and Eleni Dakos ’24 bested the Cardinals’ top pair 8-4.

In the No. 1 singles match, Beshentseva pulled out two close sets, winning 6-4, 7-5. Dakos dropped just one game en route to her 6-0, 6-1 victory in the No. 2 singles spot. Nagireddy won her match by a score of 6-1 in the No. 3 singles match, while in the No. 4 singles match, Winslow won 6-2, 6-2. Pontillo won 6-2, 6-3 in the No. 6 singles spot and MacIntosh cruised to a 6-1, 6-0 victory in the No. 5 singles match.

Against Allegheny, Beshentseva and Dakos earned an 8-1 victory. Pontillo and Winslow won their No. 2 doubles match 8-5. In the last doubles match, MacIntosh and Nagireddy won 8-2.  

Beshentseva, who was named NCAC Women’s Tennis Player of the Week for the second time this season, was dominant in a 6-1, 6-0 victory in the top singles spot. Meanwhile, Nagireddy earned a 6-1, 6-0 victory, clinching the win for the Ladies. In the No. 3 singles match, Winslow won 6-1, 6-0. MacIntosh played a close first set in the No. 4 match, winning in the tiebreak before closing things out in the second set for a final score of 7-6(7-5), 6-1. In the No. 5 singles, Pontillo beat Stancil 6-3, 6-0, and Natalie Connelly ‘25 finished things off with a 6-0, 6-2 victory in the No. 6 singles match.

Unfortunately, the Ladies were unable to continue their momentum against the Big Red, falling 5-4. Two of Kenyon’s three doubles groups prevailed in close fashion. Daria Beshentseva ’22 and Eleni Dakos ’24 won 8-6, while Anna Winslow ’22 and Erika Pontillo ’23 secured another close 8-6 victory. 

Unfortunately, the singles matchups were less successful for the Ladies. Beshentseva earned a relatively easy victory at No. 1, going 7-5, 6-2, while Natalie Connelly ’25 earned a straight set win 6-1, 7-6 at No. 6. Unfortunately, no other Kenyon player could prevail. With the overall score sitting at 4-4, Catriona Macintosh ’23 came up just short in a brutal loss, falling 4-6, 6-4, 7-5, which gave Denison the match win. With the regular season having come to a close, the Ladies will look ahead to the NCAC tournament from April 29 to May 1.