Lords fall 8-1 against No. 1 Case Western

Luis Andres Platas ’23. | SEJIN KIM/SID/NCAA

On Sunday, the Lords faced off against Case Western Reserve University — the top team in Division III. The Spartans defeated the Lords by a score of 8-1, demonstrating they had rightly earned their lofty ranking.

Case Western defeated Eric Zhang ’25 and Luis Andres Platas ’23 by a score of 8-1 in the No. 2 doubles match. The top doubles match was closer, but the Spartans managed to pull away and defeat Christian Picot ’25 and Cristophe Leblanc ’25 8-3. In the third doubles match, Thomas Kallarakal ’23 and Rishil Kondapaneni ’25 lost a series of tightly contested games, and fell 8-4.

Luis Andreas Platas ’23 won the first set of the No. 1 singles match 6-4, before falling in the next two, 6-0, 6-2. In the No. 3 singles match, the Spartans defeated Kondapeneni in a tightly contested two sets, 6-4, 6-4. In the No. 5 singles match, Casey Hishinuma defeated Rakkan Audeh ’25 6-1, 6-0. The No. 2 and No. 4 singles matches both went to three sets, as Zhang and Kallarakal fell in close matches. In the No. 6 singles match, Henry Wessell ’22 was able to prevent Kenyon from being shut out on the day as he won 6-2, 6-3. 

The Lords will next compete on Friday against Asbury University (Ky.) at the Jasper Tennis Center.