Section: Baseball

Lords extend winning streak to eight, sweep doubleheader

Lynch was named NCAC Pitcher of the Week. | COURTESY OF KENYON ATHLETICS

The Kenyon Lords baseball team continued their stellar play over the weekend, dominating in both games of a road doubleheader against NCAC foe Hiram College, winning 17-0 and 5-0. The two victories extended their win streak to eight, as they now sit at 13-6.

The visitors were immediately off to the races on Saturday against the Terriers in game one, putting six runs on the board in the top of the first. Kenyon proceeded to score in every inning except the final frame. Nate Rosen ’25 and Luke Meister ’24 were the stars at the plate, leading the team with 4 RBIs each in the game. Rosen had a double in the third and another in the fourth, scoring two teammates on both occasions. Meister went deep in the sixth for the second time in a week, continuing to show off his power. Drew Robinson ’24 also added three hits and three RBIs. All in all, the Lords brought home 17 runs in a seven-inning game. 

While Kenyon certainly flexed their offensive prowess, the most impressive performance of the day came on the mound. After allowing his first runs of the season in his previous start against Bluffton University, Alex Gow ’22 returned to his dominant self on Saturday. The Lords’ ace went 6.1 innings, allowing just four hits and striking out 14 batters. His ERA for the season now sits at an outstanding 0.69. Gow was in sync with his pitching coach Jared Farenchak and catcher Alex Hoskins ’22. “They trusted me to be able to throw any of my pitches in pretty much any count, and you can feel that vote of confidence coming from your coach and catcher,” he said. “Just being able to throw all four of my pitches for strikes while consistently getting ahead is always going to be a recipe for success.” Noah Rosenberg ’24 came in to get the final two outs, securing the shutout.

The purple and black did not miss a beat in the second leg of the doubleheader. Kenyon pitching shut out the Terriers again. Frank Lynch ’25 pitched an excellent game, going 6.1 innings with seven strikeouts, earning him NCAC Pitcher of the Week honors. In the second, Kenyon got on the board first after Andrew Rabinowitz ’22 scored on a fielder’s choice. During the ensuing at-bat, as Robinson attempted to steal second, Meister sprinted home from third to give his team a 2-0 advantage. 

In the fourth, Meister continued his outstanding day. The Illinois native launched his second home run of the doubleheader, his third in a week. Meister credited his recent power surge to extra work in practice. “My approach was to look for hittable fastballs early in the count and to swing to do damage. I have been working a lot with Coach [Matt] Burdette on my pitch selection and maximizing the quality of my at-bats. I always look to hit the ball hard and on a line because I know if I do that, good things will happen,” he said. The first baseman has quickly become a key contributor in the Lords lineup. Kenyon added two more runs in the late innings, and Joel Biery ’22 closed out the game for his third save of the season, securing a 5-0 victory. 

The Lords will look to extend their winning streak to nine when they travel to Delaware, Ohio on Thursday to face Ohio Wesleyan University in a doubleheader matchup.