Section: Golf

Golf takes first place at Hanover D-III Showcase in Indiana

The Kenyon golf team has begun their spring season with an impressive showing at many tournaments. Over spring break, the Lords traveled to Georgia to compete in the Jekyll Island Collegiate Invitational, where they logged a 16th-place finish among the 30 teams in the tournament. This past weekend, the players of the B team participated in the NYE Intercollegiate in Wooster, Ohio. The A team then were victorious at the Division III Showcase on Monday and Tuesday.

From March 18–20, the Lords competed in Jekyll Island, Ga. Eric Lifson ’22 and Armand Ouellette ’25 were the standouts for Kenyon in the tournament, finishing in 22nd and 35th, respectively, out of the 119 golfers who played all 54 holes. In three rounds, Lifson shot 1 under par for 215 strokes (70, 70, 75) while Ouelette was 3 over par for 218 strokes (74, 71, 73). 

The par for the tournament was 864 strokes. As a team the Lords had 879 strokes, which put them at 15 over par. Nationally ranked Sewanee: The University of the South (Tenn.), Methodist University (N.C.) and Emory University (Ga.) made up the top three with 851, 853 and 854 strokes, respectively. 

After Saturday’s round of the NYE Intercollegiate tournament was canceled, the Lords arrived for their 10:30 a.m. tee times on Sunday ready to play. While Kenyon was not scored as a team, two golfers earned top-10 finishes. Logan Spiess ’23 finished in second. He was 3 over par with 75 strokes, two strokes behind first place. Garret Thesing ’24 needed five more strokes to get through 18, so he finished in sixth at 8 over par. 

The Lords’ A team traveled to French Lick, Ind. for the D-III Showcase on Monday and Tuesday. On day one of the tournament, Kenyon finished in an impressive second place out of 20 participants. Ouellette finished in second place overall, shooting a 69. The next four finishers for the Lords ended the day within four strokes of each other. Andrew Kotler ’22 secured 18th place with a 73, while Ethan Manalo ’22 finished just one stroke behind Kotler in 24th. Nick Lust ’22 shot a 74, and Eric Lifson ’22 shot a 76. 

Entering Tuesday’s play just four strokes behind leader Carnegie Mellon University, the Lords were in striking distance of a tournament victory. Kenyon was up to the task, finishing tied for first with Carnegie Mellon with a total stroke count of 574. After 291 total strokes in round one, they improved their score by eight strokes on the second day with a round of 283. Kotler had the best day for the Lords, shooting a 67 and moving him into a tie for fourth overall. Ouellette had another excellent day, shooting a 70 and finishing in second overall. Lifson moved up in the standings as well, also earning a 70 and 16th place. 

The Lords were rewarded in the golf rankings for winning the D-III Showcase. Kenyon will look to build upon their No. 20 ranking when they play at home in the NCAC/OAC Clash in Howard, Ohio this weekend.