Section: Baseball

Baseball extends win streak to program-record of 12 games

Luke Meister ’24 won NCAC Player of the Week, as Lords go 4-0 this week. | COURTESY OF MARTY FULLER

At the moment, nothing is stopping the Kenyon baseball team. With four victories this past week, the Lords extended their win streak to 12 — the longest in program history — and are one of the hottest teams in D-III. After a doubleheader sweep of Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU) in Delaware, Ohio on Thursday, the Lords continued to excel upon returning home, winning both games on Sunday against the Wabash College Little Giants. The Lords are now 17-6 this season.

The bats were the story against OWU. Kenyon combined for 31 hits in the two games, as well as eight home runs. The Lords struck first in game one, scoring three runs in the first on the strength of RBIs from Luke Meister ’24 and Will Sturgeon ’22. In the fifth, the Lords established a cushion, scoring five runs in the inning, which included a home run from Alex Gow ’22. 

Kenyon took a comfortable 10-3 lead into the bottom half, appearing to be cruising. However, after OWU scored twice in the fifth, a grand slam by Dillon Ysseldyke suddenly cut the Lords’ lead to just one. With the momentum swinging towards the home team, backup catcher Stephen Carr stepped up for his first at-bat in the eighth and clobbered a vital home run to center, giving his team an 11-9 lead. Lords’ pitching was able to keep OWU off the board in the final two innings, as Joel Biery ’22 secured his fourth save of the season to seal the victory. 

In game two, the Lords continued the offensive onslaught, scoring 21 runs in a lopsided victory. After falling behind 2-0 in the first, Kenyon didn’t look back. Carr responded with a three-run homer in the following inning, his second dinger in two at-bats. In the third, Kenyon hit three more home runs to push their advantage to 8-3. Carr yet again took a trip around the bases with another three-run homer. This sealed a remarkable stat line for Carr: three home runs in three at-bats. The Lords built a 21-6 lead in the seventh, and the mercy rule was implemented, capping off the doubleheader victory.

After just seven plate appearances this season prior to the doubleheader, it was particularly meaningful for Carr to contribute to the victories. “To deliver in that kind of spot just felt like the culmination of a lot of hard work. [I] felt like I was able to take advantage of the opportunity I was given not only for myself but to give the team a good chance to win, which we ended up doing,” he wrote in a message to the Collegian

The Massachusetts native has made it clear he deserves more playing time, as he ended the game with six RBIs, and seven on the day. Tripper Capps ’24 was the other major contributor, also driving in six runs, including a three-run homer of his own. 

The Lords returned home to face Wabash on Sunday, but it far from slowed them down. Gow was the star in game one, carrying his team to a 5-1 victory. With his former 2021 classmates in the stands, Gow threw a complete game on the mound, allowing just one run on six hits and striking out 13 batters. Kenyon’s ace had excellent command of his fastball, painting the corners throughout the game. 

Gow described how meaningful it was to have his former classmates there to watch him pitch. “Those guys mean the world to me, and knowing they were there watching was just a little bit more motivation,” he wrote in a message to the Collegian. “It felt a little weird to have those guys who I loved playing beside for 3 years on the opposite side of the fence, but just knowing that they were there supporting us was a really cool feeling nonetheless.” He also went 3-for-5 at the plate, scoring three runs. 

Kenyon was aided offensively by six walks and two hit batsmen by Wabash starter Dylan Scheid. After scoring in the first to take a 1-0 lead, Kenyon added on throughout. A key RBI double from Andrew Rabinowitz ’22 extended the lead to 4-0. Of course, Gow didn’t need the extra runs: After allowing a run in the eighth, he struck out the side in the ninth to finish off his masterpiece.

Game two was more of a struggle in the early innings for the Lords. The Little Giants took a 2-0 lead in the second. Things could have been a lot worse, though, as Hoskins made a diving catch in left to retire the side in the inning, preventing two more runs from scoring. Morale was a little low in the Lords’ dugout as they came up to bat in the bottom of the third. However, Hoskins led off the inning and completely changed the dynamic of the game. After a long 15 pitch at-bat, in which Hoskins repeatedly fouled off pitches, he earned a walk, prompting roars from the dugout. 

The Lords proceeded to bring five runs across in the inning, clearly rattling Wabash starter Jacob Bishop. In the fifth, RBI singles from Hoskins and Drew Robinson ’24 kept the team’s adrenaline high and extended the Kenyon lead to 7-2. After Wabash trimmed the lead to 7-4 in the following inning, Rabinowitz absolutely crushed a solo shot onto the soccer field in left. Two more runs for the Lords in the eighth gave the purple and black a 10-4 victory. 

An unsung hero in the game was pitcher Noah Rosenberg ’24. After initially entering the game with runners on first and third and nobody out in the seventh, Rosenberg provided three scoreless innings without allowing a baserunner to close out the win. 

After a week off, the hottest team on campus will travel to DePauw University on Saturday for a doubleheader, looking to extend their best-ever win streak.