Zavaleta shines at NCAA Regional Championships

Israel Zavaleta ’24 qualified for the NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships. | COURTESY OF LEVI REX

The Lords competed in the NCAA Regional Diving Championships in Grand Rapids, Mich. on Friday and Saturday. On Tuesday, the NCAA announced the divers who qualified for the one-meter and three-meter dives. Mason Fishell ’23, Drew Albrecht ’23 and Israel Zavaleta ’24 participated in the diving events. The three divers will join 14 other Lords swimmers in Indianapolis at the Swimming and Diving Championships. While no Ladies divers are going, 15 swimmers are attending. 

Israel Zavaleta ’24 finished first in both the three-meter and the one-meter dives to claim the regional title. Fishell and Albrecht did well in their events, with Fishell placing seventh in the three-meter, and Albrecht finishing eighth. Both Fishell and Albrecht finished outside the top 10 in the one-meter event. 

This was Zavaleta’s first ever appearance in the NCAA Regional Championships, so the moment was particularly  memorable for him. “I’m proud of my teammates and their efforts,” he said. For the NCAA Championship, Zavaleta hopes to improve his rhythm on the board and the finish for his dives.

Zavaleta will be leading the dive team, as he finished first in both events at the meet. The Lords will feature multiple swimmers seeded in the top ten, with David Fitch ’22, Bryan Fitzgerald ’23 and Yurii Kosian ’23 all holding the number one seed in their respective races. Crile Hart ’22 has multiple events where she is seeded first. The Ladies also have multiple swimmers who are starting the race in the top 10. Kenyon swimming and diving will have a chance to capture their first national championship, for either the Lords or Ladies, since 2015 on March 16-19 in Indianapolis.