Section: Basketball

Women’s basketball struggles against No. 14 DePauw Tigers

Grace Connery ’22 scored 14 points, going 4-12 from the 3-point line in 39 minutes. | SEJIN KIM/ SID/ NCAA

On Saturday, Kenyon’s women’s basketball team fell to No. 14 DePauw University Tigers, 78-51, at Tomsich Arena. 

The Tigers, who have won four games in a row and six of their last seven, proved to be far too much for the Ladies, who never led in the contest. The Tigers started off the game hot, going on a 8-0 run and increasing that lead to 20-8 at the end of the first quarter. By halftime, DePauw had taken full control of the game (42-19), and led by as many as 40 points in the third quarter. The Ladies stayed focused and finished strong, outscoring DePauw 21-8 in the fourth quarter, but the deficit was insurmountable. Grace Connery ’22 made a major impact in the Ladies’ final push,  scoring eight points in the last 10 minutes of the game. 

Connery finished with 14 points, including four 3-pointers. Madelyn Anderson ’22 scored 10 points and led the team with five assists. Claudia Cooke ’24 had success on the glass, securing a third of Kenyon’s rebounding total with nine boards,  while also adding eight points for the Ladies.

In total, the Ladies shot 32.3% from the field (21 of 65), while the Tigers countered with a rate of 38.0% field goal percentage (30 of 79). Twelve different players logged points for DePauw.

With the loss, the Ladies fell to 5-14 on the year. They will next return to action on Saturday in Delaware, Ohio against Ohio Wesleyan University.