Track and field make successful trip to Wittenberg

Becker (above) placed fifth in the 3000-meter race. Soric won the triple jump. | MIKE MUNDEN

Last weekend, Kenyon’s track and field teams traveled to Witten-berg University in Springfield, Ohio to compete in the unscored Steem-er Showcase. This meet brought 22 teams together from eight differ-ent states and was the biggest meet in the Steemer stadium since its grand opening in 1982. Despite host-ing both Division I and Division III teams, the Lords and the Ladies had various successes amongst the fierce competition. 

On the Lords’ side of things, Ri-ley Orth ’24 placed fifth in the shot put event with a throw of 47 feet, 3 3/4 inches. In the 60-yard dash pre-liminaries, Tapiwa Gono Phiri ’25 finished in ninth place with a time of 7.146 seconds, leaving him only 0.002 seconds short of advancing to the fi-nals over the eighth-place finisher. Gono Phiri ran in the 200-meter dash later in the competition and placed eighth with a 23.01-second time. Two of the Lords’ next highlights were a 21st-place finish by Angus Soder-berg’s ’22 in the 400-meter dash and the Lords’ three top-20 finishers in the 3,000-meter race: Peter Bernhardt ’25 in ninth place (9:15.04), Samuel Rabieh ’25 in 16th (9:34.58) and Jack Burczak ’23 in 19th (10:17.15). 

For the Ladies, Paula Soric ’25 won the triple jump contest with a jump of 35 feet, 10 inches. In the long jump event, Soric placed 10th, and teammate Erika Conant ’23 followed suit with a 15-foot-7-inch jump that earned her 13th place. In the shot put event, Eras Yager ’23 placed 14th with a 33-foot-3-inch throw and, in the high jump, Anna Barrett ’23 f lew over a 4-foot-6-inch bar to finish 16th. The Ladies also found success in the distance races. Lorien Kauffman ’24 finished 9th in the 800-meter run, clocking in at 2:31.71. Emma Becker ’22 placed fifth in the 3,000-meter race with a 10:51.37 time, and Katari-na Yepez ’22 completed the race only half a minute later, finishing 15th. Ella Wilson ’23 claimed ninth in the 5,000-meter race to top off a success-ful competition for the team. The track and field teams will try and continue their success when they make a short trip to compete in the Bob Shannon Invitational on Feb. 5 at Denison University in Granville, Ohio.