Orth nears shot put record

Orth nears shot put record

Riley Orth ’24 won the shot put at the Bob Shannon Invitational. | COURTESY OF MIKE MUNDEN

On Saturday, Kenyon’s track and field team made the short trip south to Granville, Ohio to compete at the Bob Shannon Invitational. In addition to a few other Division III schools, host school Denison University welcomed Division II California University of Pennsylvania and Division I Robert Morris University (Pa.). The Lords and Ladies both finished in sixth place with 54 points and 61 points, respectively. 

The Ladies gained the most points in the 3,000-meter race. Emma Becker ’22 won the event in 10:55.78. Seconds later, Alice Riley ’23 crossed the line in second place  at 11:02.21 followed by Jenna Leonard ’25, who placed sixth with a time of 11:40.14. In the 800-meter race, Logan Vidal ’25 and Davida Harris ’22 finished in second and third place with times of 2:27.52 and 2:28.54, respectively. Meanwhile, in the long jump, Abby McCarty ’22 finished third by jumping 15 feet, 11 inches. The Ladies recorded two more top-five finishes in the mile run, with Katarina Yepez ’22 coming in fourth and Lindsey Neff ’24 finishing fifth.

Riley Orth ’24 once again led the Lords, contributing to Kenyon’s lone win at the meet. Orth finished first in the shot put with a throw of 47-5 feet. He is still chasing the Kenyon shot put record of a 51-foot-1-inch throw set in 1964. Orth already holds the Lords’ record for the weight throw and broke it again in this event with a 44-foot-9-inch throw. 

On the track, the Lords recorded multiple top-10 finishes. In the 3,000-meter, Keegan Minahan ’24 placed third with a time of 9 minutes and 25.21 seconds. Samuel Rabieh ’25 and Jack Caine ’24 also finished in the ninth minute of the race, placing fifth and 10th, respectively. Angus Soderberg ’22 placed second in the 400-meter dash, finishing in 52.93 seconds. 

Looking ahead, the Lords and Ladies will be in Westerville, Ohio this weekend to compete in the All-Ohio Championship. The following week, Kenyon will compete in the NCAC Championships. Soderberg is excited to compete in the 400-meter and 800-meter race. “Personally, I’m looking to drop 1-2 seconds off my 400 time and place in the top 3 in the 800m race,” he wrote in an email to the Collegian. As a team, the Lords are starting to finalize their roster and put the runners into races that they are most confident in. The upcoming weeks will showcase the finalized roster.