Section: Basketball

Ladies earn victory over Wooster, Anderson leads the way

Madelyn Anderson ’22 was key in the Ladies win over Wooster. | COURTESY OF SEJIN KIM

The Kenyon’ women’s basketball team faced a slate of three NCAC matches this past week against Ohio Wesleyan University, the College of Wooster and Oberlin College. While the Ladies lost to Ohio Wesleyan 83-59 on the road, they bounced back upon returning home and secured a convincing win over Wooster 75-77 before losing against Oberlin 82-49.

The matchup against Ohio Wesleyan was a close game for most of the first half, with each team going on small runs to even the score. A quick run by the Battling Bishops to end the second quarter gave them a 38-29 lead at halftime. This margin was only extended in the final two quarters. The Ladies’ shooting woes in the third quarter (2/11 FG) made it tough to recover from the Battling Bishops’ 71% (5/7) from distance. The home team never looked back, outscoring the Ladies in the fourth 22-19 to win 83-59. 

In less than 24 hours, the Ladies returned to Gambier to play the College of Wooster in the Tomsich Arena. Despite having lost to the Fighting Scots at Wooster 80-71 just weeks ago, Kenyon dominated in the first half, holding Wooster to 20% from the field (7/35) while the Ladies shot 46% (12/26) including 50% (5/10) from behind the arc. The 3-pointer barrage was mostly courtesy of Madelyn Anderson ’22, who had a career high with 21 points, including five of Kenyon’s seven 3-pointers. Anderson was elated to have hit such a milestone as her season slowly came to its end. “It felt amazing to get a career high,” she wrote in an email to the Collegian. “There’s nothing I love more than basketball and I just want to take every opportunity to perform at my highest capacity every time I step on the floor.” 

Kenyon’s other impressive performance was Claudia Cooke’s ’24 18 points and 14 rebounds, seven of which were offensive rebounds. These rebounds also proved critical in this victory as Kenyon tallied 19 second-chance points compared to Wooster’s five. “I was really proud of our resilience and ability to bounce back and get a win after a tough loss.” Anderson said. “Everyone contributed and I think that played a large role in our victory. It truly was a team win.”

The Ladies were back in Tomisich Arena on Wednesday for the Play4Kay Game, a fundraiser for the Kay Yow Cancer Fund against the Oberlin Yeowomen. The Ladies got off to a slow start as they watched Oberlin start the game on an 8-0 run. The Yeowomen never looked back. At the end of the first quarter, the Ladies were down by 13 points. At halftime, Oberlin led 39-24. The Ladies were unable to mount a comeback in the second half, as the Yeowomen cruised to a 82-49 victory. Grace Connery did lead the team with an impressive 20 points, playing the entire game. 

The week ahead will prove to be as busy as the last, with three different matchups awaiting the Ladies to finish off the regular season. Their next match will be at Denison University this Friday at 1:00 p.m., when they will try to replicate the fantastic play they displayed earlier this week against Wooster.