Kenyon tennis splits matches at Mary Washington University

Kallarakal and Andres Platas led the way for the Lords in a victory against Stevens Institute. | SEJIN KIM/ SID/NCAA

The Lords traveled to Fredericksburg, Va. to compete in the University of Mary Washington Invitational this past weekend. Kenyon won 6-3 against Stevens Institute of Technology (N.J.) before losing to host Mary Washington 5-4.

The Lords got off to a strong start on Saturday by winning two of the three doubles matches. In the No. 1 pairing, Thomas Kallarakal ’23 and Luis Andres Platas ’23 defeated Stevens 8-3. The Ducks won the No. 2 match 8-6, before the Lords flipped the score (8-6) to take a 2-1 match lead going into the singles matches.

Despite dropping the top two singles matches, the Lords were able to win the four other pairings thanks to their depth. Kallarakal started the Lords off with a win in the No. 3 matchup 6-2, 6-4. Eric Zhang ’25 grabbed the No. 4 match for Kenyon 6-4, 6-3. After a close first-set victory of 7-6, Rakkan Audeh ’25 almost blanked Stevens in the second set with a 6-1 win. Jacob Smith ’23 easily claimed the No. 6 match for the Lords with a score of 6-1 in both sets.

The next day, Kenyon had a sluggish start against the Mary Washington Eagles, dropping all three of their doubles sets. The Lords’ top two doubles pairings remained the same, but Rishil Kondapaneni ’25 and Zhang teamed up, unfortunately losing in close fashion 8-6 to Stevens on the No. 3 court.

Needing to take five out of the six singles matches, the Lords easily could have quit. However, Kallarakal was motivated to keep going. “It’s easy to just give in after being 0-3 down, but we fought hard and brought the score to 4-4,” he said. However, the Lords could not win that decisive fifth match in singles play and lost the match 5-4. 

The only change from the prior day’s singles lineup against Stevens occurred when Kallarakal was moved up from the No. 3 to the No. 2 position. He won his match 6-4, 7-6. 

The Lords will be back on the court Sunday in Gambier, facing Kalamazoo College at the Jasper Tennis Center. Kenyon men’s tennis has a record of 2-2 on the year.