Section: Basketball

Kenyon drops two matches against Wittenberg, Versa shines

The Lords struggled this week against Wittenberg University. | ISOO O’BRIEN

Coming off of last week’s losses and hoping to get back on track, the Lords dropped two games against Wittenberg University, losing 82-64 on Saturday and 86-69 on Sunday. 

In the first game, the Tigers were hot from three early on. After the Lords got off to a 4-0 start, Wittenberg went on a 16-2 run. While Kenyon kept the game close for most of the first half, Wittenberg simply couldn’t miss from the outside. They finished the game shooting 30-50 from the field and 12-16 from three, while the Lords shot just 25-61 from the field and 8-28 from three. Miles Versa ’25 led the way for the Lords with 25 points, and Anthony Testa ’24 added 11 points and four rebounds. Wittenberg won by a final score of 82-64.

The next day, the Lords got off to a hot start: They took a 17-13 lead, with 15 of those points coming from jump shots. Versa had seven of those points from two free throws, a jump shot and an early three. However, Kenyon could not hold this lead as Wittenberg went on another shooting barrage. The Tigers made a 19-2 run in the span of four minutes, controlling the game the rest of the half, taking a 44-28 lead into the break. Kenyon played well offensively in the second half, but so did Wittenberg, as they traded baskets down the stretch. For the Lords, Versa was excellent again, scoring 23 points to lead the team. Wittenberg won the game 86-69. 

Kenyon, whose record sits at 2-19, will look to get back on track on Friday and Saturday with rivalry games against Denison University.