Brintwood breaks weight throw record, Conant finishes 10th

Dylan Brintwood ’25 set a new Kenyon record in the weight throw that traveled 13.72 meters. | SEJIN KIM/ SID/ NCAA

On Feb. 18, the Lords competed in an unscored dual meet against the College of Wooster. The Ladies were scheduled to compete against the Fighting Scots as well, but their meet was cancelled due to illness. On Feb. 20, Erika Conant ’23 was the only member of the Ladies to compete in the NCAC Combined Events Championship, taking 10th place.

The Lords bested two Kenyon records during their meet against the Fighting Scots on Friday. On the track, Tapiwa Gono Phiri ’25 won the 60-meter dash with a time of 7.04 seconds, breaking the 2013 Kenyon record of 7.10 seconds. His teammate Emmanuel Makelele ’25 finished third in the race (7.45 seconds). Gono Phiri also took home first in the 200-meter dash, where his time of 22.75 seconds was just 0.04 seconds shy of another Kenyon record also set in 2013. Gono Phiri took home his second NCAC Men’s Track Athlete of the Week honor this season for his performance in the meet. 

In the 400-meter dash, Collin Witt ’24 took second (53:48) and Will Dean ’23 (58:79) took third. Angus Soderberg ’22 was the runner-up in the 800-meter run, finishing the race in 2:03.02. In the one-mile race, Jack Burczak ’23 (4:39.09) and Jeremy Baier ’22 (4:39.57) finished second and third, respectively, with less than half a second separating their finishes. 

Peter Bernhardt ’25 gave the Lords their other win on the track, finishing the 3000-meter run with a time of 9:03.78. Keegan Minahan ’24 (9:22.32) and Sam Rabieh ’25 (9:30.51) came in second and third, respectively. A team of Hans Schwarz ’22, Jonathan Turner ’24, James Colwell ’25 and Charlie Atkins ’25 finished the 4×200-meter in 1:38.54, taking second place. In the 4×400-meter, Dean, Jack Caine ’24, Michael Deal ’23 and Burczak finished the race in 3:58.61, earning a second place finish.

The Lords’ other new record came on the field. Dylan Brintwood ’25 took first in the weight throw, where his throw of 45 feet, ¼ inch (13.72 meters) eclipsed the record set by his teammate Riley Orth ’24 earlier this season. Brintwood, who started out in weight throw after a hiatus from track after high school, said that his record serves as both a testament to his hard work and motivation to achieve more. 

“My goal is to set a personal best at conference,” he said. “Weight is an indoor-only event, and I want to end the indoor season on a high before transitioning to javelin for the outdoor season.” In addition to Brintwood’s win, Orth won the shot put event with a throw of 45 feet, 7 ¾ inches (13.91 meters), and Colwell came in second in long jump with a jump of 16 feet, 8 ¾ inches (5.10 meters).

Though the Ladies’ meet was cancelled, Conant tallied 2311 points in the pentathlon in the NCAC Combined Events Championship. DePauw’s Erica Pasch took first with 3578 points. Conant began the day with a ninth-place finish in the 60-meter hurdles (10.54 seconds). She then placed 10th in the high jump with a jump of 4 feet, 6 inches (1.38 meters). Conant’s best event of the day was shot put, where she placed fourth with a throw of 24 feet, 5 ½ inches (7.45 meters). Her jump of 15 feet (4.57 meters) earned her seventh place in the long jump. She rounded out the competition with a 10th-place finish in the 800-meter run (2:55.71). 

For Conant, the pentathlon was a chance to test her skills across a range of events. “Because the events are so diverse (you have to run, jump, and throw), they heavily rely on playing to your advantages and weaknesses in order to score points,” she wrote to the Collegian

Heading into the NCAC Championships, Conant hopes to draw on her experience in the Combined Events to find further success, specifically in the form of a personal-best time in the hurdles and personal-best distance in the long jump. “I have had a breakthrough recently in practice, which I hope will carry through to the meet,” she said.

The Lords and Ladies will be back in competition on Feb. 25, when they will compete in the NCAC Championships at Wittenberg University.