After opening season with win, Kenyon tennis teams drop their dual match

Eric Zhang '25 put up a fight in his match against the University of Chicago. | SEJIN KIM/ SID/ NCAA

Ladies

The Ladies tennis team traveled to Cleveland to face off against Case Western Reserve University on Saturday. Despite winning the top doubles match and two of the top three singles matches, Kenyon lost to the Spartans 6-3.

In the double matches, top pairing Daria Beshentseva ’22 and Eleni Dakos ’24 were able to squeeze by the Spartans 8-7 to give the Ladies their first win of the day. The Ladies lost the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles matches, 8-4 and 8-5, respectively.

Victoria Vasquez ’24 played in the No. 1 singles match, losing 6-3, 6-2. Beshentseva won the No. 2 singles match 6-4, 6-2, while Dakos also continued her success by winning 6-1, 5-7, 1-0 in the No. 3 singles match. The Ladies dropped the bottom three matches in two games each. 

The Ladies are off this weekend, but will be back in action on Saturday, Feb. 12 at home against Southwestern University (Texas).

Lords

On Saturday, the Lords tennis team played the University of Chicago on a neutral court in Indianapolis. The Maroons earned a 9-0 dual-match victory to give Kenyon their first loss of the year, giving the Lords a record of 1-1. 

Kenyon dropped all three of their doubles matches. Angelo Vidal ’22 and Eric Zhang ’25 put up a fight in the No. 3 doubles match, but ultimately lost 8-5 to the Maroons. 

Zhang again fought hard in his singles match. Assigned to the No. 4 court, Zhang lost the first set 6-1 but bounced back to win the second set 6-4. Despite his valiant effort, he  was unable to get the Lords a victory in the dual meet, losing the third set 6-3. Kenyon lost their five other singles matches. 

The Lords will be back in action on Saturday in Fredericksburg, Va. for the Mark Washington Invitational.