Section: Basketball

Lords earn second victory of the season against Waynesburg

The Lords continue to battle against tough competition. They have dealt with several COVID-19 related issues. | SEJIN KIM/SID/NCAA

While most of the student body was at home over winter break, the men’s basketball team was on the court competing. Despite winning a game prior to winter break, the Lords remain winless in 2022. 

On Thursday, Dec. 9, the Lords trailed Oberlin College by only one at halftime. Midway through the second half, however, the Yeomen went on an 18-4 run. From there, the Yeomen never looked back, winning 82-69. Nick Lewis ’23 led the Lords with 14 points while going 5-8 from the floor in 31 minutes of play.

The Lords traveled to Richmond, Ind. on Dec. 18 to compete against Earlham College (Ind.). With 2:44 left in the game, the score was tied at 66. The teams traded points until Earlham was able to grab a two-point lead late in regulation. Sergio Matabuena ’25, who had 19 points in the game, took a 3-point shot in an attempt to win the game. Unfortunately, the ball bounced off the rim, resulting in a heartbreaking Lords loss.

The Lords were in Gambier for their last non-conference game of the season on Dec. 20. Kenyon was able to pick up a 68-49 win against Waynesburg University (Pa.). 

The Lords returned from their holiday break expecting to play Denison University and  Wittenberg University. However, both games were postponed due to COVID-19, so the Lords first faced another NCAC foe, Oberlin College, on Jan. 8. Kenyon played at Hiram College on Jan. 10 with no fans in attendance per Hiram’s COVID-19 policy. Kenyon lost both of those games, 77-66 and 77-65, respectively. The uncertainty surrounding postponements forced the Lords to be prepared for anything. “No one had answers, not my coach nor the captains nor the trainers, so we had to make changes in our daily routines on basically a daily basis,” said Matabuena.

On Jan. 12, the Lords faced the College of Wooster, which now sits atop the NCAC standings. The Lords were sensational in the first half, shooting nearly 37% on 19 attempts from behind the arc and over 50% from the floor. Kenyon came out of the locker room leading 49-38. The Fighting Scots realized they were 20 minutes away from suffering a major defeat. In the second half, Wooster locked down on defense, forcing the Lords to go just 1-15 from beyond the arc. On the offensive side of the ball, the Fighting Scots improved from shooting around 45% to 60% from the floor in the second half. When the buzzer sounded, the scoreboard read Kenyon 77, Wooster 91. Nonetheless, Miles Versa ’25 had a standout game, scoring 26 points in 24 minutes. 

On Jan. 15, Kenyon returned home to host Wabash College and Allegheny College. The Lords lost 92-64 to Wabash. The Allegheny game was much closer, but the Lords still were unable to prevail. Despite Kenyon opening the game on a 13-0 run, the Gators were able to come back with a run of their own to go into halftime up by four. Allegheny went on to win 85-80. 

After Monday’s game against Denison was postponed due to inclement weather, the Lords traveled to Delaware, Ohio to compete against Ohio Wesleyan University. David Mazon ’25 had 18 points in the game, but it was not enough as the Lords lost 79-60.

The Lords are 2-15 on the year. “We weren’t happy with the results of the games, but in each one, we learned something about ourselves and our identity,” said Lewis. “We’ve had a number of close games that come down to a couple of lapses in possessions, but once we eliminate those mistakes, I believe that the wins will come.” The Lords next game is Senior Day on Saturday against DePauw University.