Section: Football

Rosenbury resigns after three years as Lords’ head coach

On Friday at 5 p.m., James Rosenbury announced that he would no longer be the head coach for Kenyon’s football team. When Rosenbury took over as head coach of Kenyon’s football team in April of 2019, the Lords were on a 26-game losing streak. After two seasons of 3-7 records, over three academic years, the Lords will once again be looking for a new head coach. Defensive coordinator Ian Good has been named as the interim head coach. 

During Rosenbury’s stint at Kenyon, he coached four players who received All-NCAC honors. Off the field, he mentored two student-athletes who were named National Football Foundation (NFF) Scholar-Athletes and eight who were named to the NFF Hampshire Honor Society. The NCAC also named 15 Lords to their honor roll during Rosenbury’s tenure. 

On the field, the players put in hard work to improve their record in NCAC to 3-6 in 2021. The Lords finished the season in seventh place, their best finish since 2013.  “I am so proud of the work that our program has accomplished,” Rosenbury said. “In three short years we have changed the culture of Kenyon football in more ways than just winning.” 

Under Rosenbury, the Lords built one of their largest rosters, while also having the highest GPA in the football program’s history. In reflecting on his experience, Rosenbury said that he felt as though the team is in a better place compared to when he first took the reins. Jill McCartney, Kenyon’s director of athletics, fitness and recreation, thanked Rosenbury for changing the culture of the program.

“We are grateful for James’ leadership in resetting the course of the Kenyon football program and we are proud of what the team has been able to achieve these past three years,” McCartney said. 

Good will serve his second stint as interim head coach as he served in the position prior to the hiring of Rosenbury. No other information has been released to the Kenyon community about the process to find a new head coach.