Section: Basketball

Lords’ struggle continues, drop to 0-6 to start the season

Dylan Fuerst ’24 attempts a layup over a DePauw University defender. | SEJIN KIM/KENYONSID/NCAA

Just before the beginning of Thanksgiving break, the Lords basketball team faced DePauw University (Ind.) on Nov. 21 in their conference-season opener. The DePauw Tigers defeated Kenyon 81-64, before Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU) beat Kenyon 64-58 on Wednesday. The Lords’ losing streak is now up to six games to start the season. 

Despite Miles Versa ’25 making the first shot of the game, the Tigers quickly jumped out to a 10-4 lead. Even with several more baskets from Versa, DePauw continued to pull ahead. Following a 3-pointer from DePauw’s Grant Niego, the Lords found themselves behind by 13 points heading into halftime. 

The second half began much like the first, with Versa converting on an and-one, which shaved DePauw’s lead to 46-34. However, the Lords’ rebounding wasn’t enough to stall the Tigers’ momentum. DePauw’s lead extended to a game high of 22 points and eventually led to their final triumph of 81-64, despite a 7-2 run from Kenyon to end the game.

Versa led the Lords in scoring with 13 points. Dylan Fuerst ’24 added 10 points, while Nick Lewis ’23 secured six rebounds for the team.

On Wednesday, the Lords returned home hoping that a venue shift would change their fortunes. Unfortunately, the OWU Battling Bishops scored the first basket and controlled the game throughout the first half. Coming into the second half down by 13 points, the Lords rallied to tie the game at 50 with under five minutes to go. However, the Lords could not push through to take their first lead of the game since early in the first half, when they led 5-3. The Battling Bishops controlled the game, outscoring the Lords 14-8 to finish. 

Versa led the Lords in scoring again, recording 16 points and eight rebounds, while Gefen Bar-Cohen ’25 contributed eight points and collected six rebounds.

The Lords will look for their first win of the season when they return to action this Saturday against Allegheny College in Meadville, Pa.