Section: Basketball

Lords lose in nail-biter on the road to Westminster College, remain winless

The men’s basketball team is off to a slow start, going winless in their first four games of the season. The Lords played all non-conference games over the past week and a half to begin the season. On Wednesday, Nov. 10, Washington and Jefferson College (Pa.) came to Gambier and defeated Kenyon 103-93 at Tomsich Arena. On Saturday, Kenyon traveled to New Concord, Ohio where they lost 75-53 at the hands of Muskingum University. The Lords then returned home on Monday to face Geneva College (Pa.) where they played a close game, but lost 95-89. In their final game of the week, Kenyon headed back on the road to play in New Wilmington, Pa., losing 77-76 to Westminster College (Pa.).

In their opening game of the season, the Lords faced a formidable opponent in the Washington and Jefferson Presidents. David Mazon ’25 led the way for the Lords with 15 points and thirty-two minutes played. The Presidents jumped out to an early lead, but the Lords retook the lead and tied the score at 19 six minutes into the game, then again at 35 with eight minutes to go in the half. After another tie at 40, the Presidents were able to grab a lead, outscoring the Lords 16-9 over the last six minutes of the half. 

In the second half, the Lords found themselves down 84-60 with a little under 10 minutes to play in the game. The Lords started to mount a comeback, getting the lead down to three with under three minutes to play. A 7-0 run by the Presidents, however, sealed the game for Washington and Jefferson.

Looking to bounce back, the Lords played the Muskingum Muskies on the road. The Muskies started the game on a 10-0 run, and extended their lead throughout the first, entering halftime with a 43-20 lead. The Lords started off the second half on a 10-2 run to get within 14 of them, but couldn’t get much closer than that. The Muskies went on to win 75-53. Gefen Bar-Cohen ’25 led the Lords with 12 points, and went 4 of 4 from the charity stripe. 

The Lords returned home to face the Geneva Golden Tornadoes on Monday. The first half featured a back-and-forth affair, with the Golden Tornadoes holding the largest lead of the first half and going up eight with about 11 1/2 minutes to go in the first. Less than six minutes later, the score was 40-34 in favor of the Lords thanks to a 7-0 run by the home team. The Golden Tornadoes rallied before half to knot the game at 44 going into halftime. 

Coming out of the half, the Golden Tornadoes built a nine-point lead by the 14:02 mark in the second. The Lords battled throughout the half to tie the game at 76 with 3:16 left in the game. The Golden Tornadoes scored the next basket, and continued a run. The Lords were not able to rally back, eventually losing the closely contested matchup 95-89. Nick Lewis ’23 starred for the Lords with 22 points, going 5-10 from behind the arc. Meanwhile, Grefen Bar-Cohen ’25 helped Kenyon’s efforts with 13 points of his own and a team-leading eight boards.

The Lords’ next match occurred on the road Wednesday night against the Westminster College Titans. The Lords found themselves down early in the second half, but were able to mount a comeback to take a lead late in the game. However, it was the Titans who went on a late run to win the game 77-76. 

The Lords started off the game on an 8-0 run, before the Titans responded with a run of their own to take a 10-8 lead less than five minutes into the game. From there, the Titans established themselves firmly in the game by building up a 13-point lead to go into the half. 

Coming out of the half, the Titans scored two baskets to extend their lead to 17 — their largest  of the game. The Lords did not go away quietly, though. Throughout the rest of the game, they chipped into the Titans’ lead. With 5:40 left in the game, the Lords came within two of the Titans after a 9-0 run over the previous four minutes. With just over three minutes left, the Lords had clawed their way back in the game, tying the score at 73. 

The Lords then took a three point lead into the last two minutes. This time, it was the Titans’ turn to respond, scoring four consecutive points to take the lead. A basket with one minute remaining cut the Lords’ lead to one and then, with 11 seconds left, the Titans retook the lead on a two-point basket. The Lords used a timeout to draw up a play, but missed a potential game-winning shot and the buzzer sounded to wash away any hopes of getting their first win of the season. 

Miles Versa ’25 led the way for the Lords, scoring 21 points on 6-15 from the field, including a perfect 6-6 from the foul line. Mazon chipped in with 13 points of his own and led the team with seven boards

The Lords are still in search of their first win of the season. Their next game comes Sunday against DePauw University on Sunday. This will be the Lords’ first of three straight conference games.