Lords and Ladies earn lopsided victories over rival Denison

Lords:

On Saturday, the Lords swimming and diving team defeated their conference rival Denison University in a lopsided meet, winning by a score of 208.5 to 91.5. It’s the Lords’ third straight victory against the Big Red, and their largest margin of victory against Denison in over a decade. To say the Lords dominated the event would be an understatement; the swimmers from the Hill won all but one event, and numerous  competitors for Kenyon walked away with multiple event wins.

Leading the way for the Lords was Yurji Kosian ’23. Kosian was a force to be reckoned with in both the 100-yard and 200-yard backstroke, winning both events with times of 50.36 and 1:51.27, respectively. He also was a part of the four-man team that won the 200-yard medley relay with a time of 1:31.03, and the 400-yard freestyle, which clocked in at 3:03.62.

Other top finishers included Colin Bowling ’23, David Fitch ’22 and Bryan Fitzgerald ’23, who each won two events. In the diving portion of the event, Israel Zavaleta ’24 blew the rest of the competition out of the water. The star diver won both events (the 1-meter and the 3-meter), and his score was over 50 points more than the second place finisher.

The Lords’ swimmers will return to competition on Nov. 18 at the Kenyon Total Performance Invitational at 10:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. The divers will next compete at The Ohio State University Invitational, also on Nov. 18.

Ladies:

On Saturday, the Ladies defeated Denison University handily, winning by a score of 192-108 and moving the team to 2-0 on the season. This win was a much-needed boost for the Ladies, who have struggled recently against the Big Red; this was Kenyon’s first win against Dension since the 2017-18 season, and only their third in the rivalry in the last decade.

The Ladies, who tallied up 12 event wins, were led by Olivia Smith ’23 in the backstroke events, and by Jennah Fadely ’25, who dominated the breaststroke events. Both Smith and Fadely won the 100-yard and 200-yard events in  their respective competitions.

Both Smith and Fadley were also a part of the team which won the 200-yard medley relay. Other individual-event winners were Ania Axas ’23 (200-yard butterfly, 2:07.48), Sydney Geboy ’25 (100-yard freestyle, 52.58) and Gabrielle Wei ’25 (400-yard medley, 4:33.30).

The Ladies will next compete at the Total Performance Invitational at home, on Nov. 18.