Section: Basketball

Ladies’ struggles continue, fall to 0-4 on the year

Following a tough loss against Heidelberg University, the Ladies basketball team continued their early-season road trip by traveling to Angola, Ind. to participate in the Trine University Classic. They played No. 3 Trine University (Ind.) and Albion College (Mich.) the next day. On Wednesday, the Ladies finally returned home to play Mount Vernon Nazarene University (MVNU). Unfortunately, none of the matches panned out as planned for the Ladies.

Kenyon has struggled with Trine University in the past, and their struggles continued as this match was lopsided in favor of the White Tigers. The final score was 99-33, with Trine dominating every quarter of the match. The White Tigers displayed incredible defensive prowess throughout the entire match, forcing 29 turnovers and restricting the Ladies to 34% true shooting. Even though Katie Orefice ’23 was able to put up 13 points and six rebounds against a tough opponent, her impressive effort was not enough. 

The next day, the Ladies played against the Albion College Brintons. Unfortunately, Kenyon suffered another loss, 57-39. After a close first quarter, Albion pulled away later on in the game. Both teams had plenty of shooting woes, but the Ladies struggled to out rebound their opponents and turned the ball over 19 times, seven times more than the Brintons.

On Wednesday, the Ladies returned home to face the MVNU Cougars. In their first game of the season in Tomsich Arena, the Ladies fell 89-54. At the end of the first quarter, the Ladies were down by 15, and by halftime the score was 50-28, in favor of the Cougars. Despite being blown out in the third quarter 21-8, the Ladies were able to match the Cougars’ scoring in the fourth, with each team scoring 14 points. 

The Ladies will look for their first win of the season on their fifth attempt when they play their first in-conference game on Sunday in Greencastle, Ind. against DePauw University.