Section: Soccer

Ladies lose heartbreaker to Wooster in semifinals

After closing out the regular season with a loss on Saturday to DePauw University, the Kenyon women’s soccer team’s playoff hopes came to a crushing end on Tuesday with a loss in the NCAC semifinals to the College of Wooster.

In their final regular-season match, the Ladies fell 1-0 to the DePauw Tigers. Though the Tigers had struggled throughout the regular season, they still provided a challenge for the Ladies. In the 17th minute, DePauw scored what would be the deciding goal, converting off of a corner kick. The game proved to be relatively even, with each team recording 10 shots. Kenyon was able to put six shots on goal, while DePauw put out five.

Unfortunately, the Ladies’ postseason hopes ended on Tuesday after a heartbreaking loss against the College of Wooster. The Ladies and the Fighting Scots had faced off just one time in the regular season, resulting in a 1-0 win for Kenyon. In the first half of Tuesday’s game, Wooster outshot Kenyon 14-5, with goalkeeper Leah Anderson ’23 recording her first save in the 11th minute. Wooster’s Amanda Flory made only one save, stopping a header from Sadie Gould ’24 in the first half. Though the second half was also scoreless, Kenyon continued to get quality looks at Flory. Kenyon held the edge in shots 10-7, while Wooster put five shots on goal to Kenyon’s one. Both goalkeepers and defenses held strong throughout the second half, turning away every shot and keeping the game scoreless after  90 minutes. 

One of the Ladies’ best chances of the game came with 30 seconds remaining in regulation, when Olivia Carriero ’23 sent a shot wide from 18 yards out in a one-on-one situation with Flory. With both teams unable to break the tie through 90 minutes, the game went to overtime. Both teams traded shots throughout two overtimes, with Wooster registering six shots in the extra frames, and Kenyon registering five, two of which were on goal. In the final minute of overtime, the Ladies were awarded a corner kick but were unable to convert, and a penalty shootout was required to break the deadlock. Despite 110 minutes of play where neither team could find the back of the net, both teams made each of their first nine penalty attempts in the shootout . In the 10th round, however, the Ladies missed, and the Fighting Scots converted on the following shot, sending them to the NCAC championship game against Denison University.

The Ladies end the 2021-22 season with an 8-8-2 record overall and a 5-2-1 record in conference play. With only five members of the team graduating, the women’s soccer team is set up for success in the coming season.


Comments for this article have closed. If you'd like to send a letter to the editor for publication, please email us at