Section: Football

Kenyon struggles on the road at Ohio Wesleyan, falls to 2-7

A.J. Allen ’22 threw for 209 yards and two touchdowns in the loss against OWU. | SEJIN KIM/KENYONSID/NCAA

On Nov. 6, the Lords football team faced off against the Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU) Battling Bishops in Delaware, Ohio. Historically, the Lords have struggled against OWU, with their last win against the Battling Bishops coming in 2009, when the Lords persevered in a tightly contested 33-28 shootout. However, on Saturday, the Lords couldn’t muster up a similar performance, losing 52-17 for their 11th straight loss to OWU. 

Despite coming in as heavy underdogs (OWU is 7-2 on the season, and a major contender in the NCAC, while the Lords are 2-7), the Lords showed tenacity and grit throughout all four quarters. The Battling Bishops scored first with a field goal on their first drive. The Lords were unable to find their footing offensively, and OWU scored three touchdowns before the end of the first quarter. The game went into halftime 45-3, in favor of the Battling Bishops. But, nearly 10 minutes into the third quarter, A.J. Allen ’22 connected with Justin Bosch ’22 for the first Kenyon touchdown. OWU responded immediately, however, scoring on their following drive. Andrew Schnarre ’23 secured the Lords’ final touchdown in the middle of the fourth quarter on an 8-yard pass from Allen. 

After a frustrating trip to OWU, the Lords will close out  the season with Senior Day on Saturday against Hiram College on McBride Field.