Section: Football

Kenyon prevails on Senior Day over Hiram, finishes at 3-7

The Kenyon College football team finished its 2021 season on Saturday with a 21-16 victory over Hiram College. Throughout the game, the Lords gained an impressive 269 rushing yards on 44 carries, roughly 6.1 yards per carry. 

The game started slow, with the only score of the first half coming on a Terrier 30-yard field goal. Hiram led 3-0 going into the half, and the first points on the board for Kenyon didn’t come until the 9:23 mark in the third quarter. The eight-play, 62-yard drive ended with an A.J. Allen ’22 touchdown pass to Andrew Schnarre ’23. In the third quarter, the Lords took a 14-7 lead after marching down the field with an 11-play drive. Shortly after, the Terriers scored to cut the Lords lead to four heading into the final quarter of play. Early in the fourth, the Lords scored a touchdown, but the Terriers answered with a touchdown of their own on the following drive. 

The final minutes left fans and players on the edge of their seats. The Terriers got the ball with 40 seconds left down by five points, but the Lords’ defense prevailed, preventing Hiram from advancing past their own 33 yard line. The time ran out on the Terriers’ offense, resulting in a win for the home team on Senior Day. “The Hiram game was certainly a thrill. Being down 0-3 going into halftime was not the position that we hoped to be in, but it was evident that the game would change in our favor once the third quarter started,” said linebacker Jimmy Lane ’22, who made four tackles in his final game as a senior. “Seeing how we were able to come together as a team and not be just one offense and one defense shows how we were able to continuously improve throughout the season.” The Lords finished the year 3-7 (3-6).

For seniors, this was the last game that they played representing Kenyon. Lane says he will remember this game for a long time, as well as his four years on the team. “Being a part of this team for the last four years is something that I would not trade for the world,” Lane said. “The people I have met and the brotherhood that was created on this team is something that I hold very dearly.”