Section: Field Hockey

Field Hockey comes up short against OWU in NCAC Playoffs

On Saturday, the Ladies played the College of Wooster with a chance to guarantee themselves at least a share of the NCAC regular-season title. They did just that, winning 2-0 after goals in the third and fourth quarter. 

When Earlham College lost to Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU) on Sunday, the Ladies stood atop the NCAC standings at 7-1 as the season concluded, earning the one seed in the NCAC tournament. The Ladies hosted the fourth-seeded OWU Battling Bishops at Benson Bowl at 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday.

In their previous two matches this season, the Ladies defeated the Battling Bishops 1-0, both on the road and at home. The Ladies hoped to repeat their success, and extend their six-game win streak.

On the partly cloudy day, the Ladies were eager to win for the crowd of 120. They statistically outplayed OWU, but a goal by the Battling Bishops in the second quarter proved to be the difference in the match.

In the first quarter, the Ladies and Battling Bishops both fought hard to get on the board, but neither could do so. In the second quarter, OWU broke through with 7:20 left in the quarter. The Ladies continued to press, but had trouble registering shots on goal. While the scoreboard favored the Battling Bishops, the Ladies outshot them 3-2. The Ladies also received two penalty corners in the first half; they would go on to have four in the second half, three of them in the fourth quarter.

After switching sides, the Ladies came out firing. At 9:45 in the third quarter, the Ladies earned a penalty corner. However, they could not capitalize. The Ladies continued to be on the attack in the third, recording two shots, while keeping the Battling Bishops from getting a shot. 

The fourth quarter saw the Ladies’ sense of urgency increase. Other than the Battling Bishops’ short offensive attack at the start of the fourth, the ball remained in OWU’s half of the field. The Ladies would go on to record five shots on goal, three of which required a  save from the Battling Bishops’ netminder. The Ladies first penalty corner came with 11:24 left in the game, but again the home team was unable to find the back of the net. As the time started to wind down, the Ladies’ pressure increased. The back line of the Battling Bishops held firm, though. 

The Ladies would get two chances to score within the last 15 seconds of the game. With 13 seconds left, the Ladies earned a penalty corner. Despite crashing the net, the Ladies could not force overtime. However, with no time remaining, the Ladies earned one last penalty corner kick. The ball finally found the back of the net, but time had since expired. OWU’s bench ran onto the field, while the Ladies players were left wondering why they could not break through the Battling Bishops wall of defense. 

The Ladies finished the game with 10 shots, six on goal, while the Battling Bishops recorded two shots, both on goal. Furthermore, Kenyon took six penalty corner kicks, while OWU had none. Despite defeating the Battling Bishops twice during the regular season and statistically outperforming OWU,  time ran out for the Ladies in the game, and ultimately, on their season as well.