Volleyball loses in heartbreaker

The Ladies volleyball team found themselves going to a fifth set in Wednesday’s match at home on Dig Pink Day against a formidable Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU) team. For a Ladies team that has two wins on the year, including one in five sets, a chance to knock off the Battling Bishops would have been a great way to cap off the season.

The Ladies won the first set 25-20. However, the Battling Bishops responded by dominating play in the second and third set, forcing Kenyon to make eight and nine errors, respectively. After the 25-11, 25-13 set wins, it looked like the Battling Bishops would go on to win the match 3-1, and leave the Ladies wondering what had happened. Many times in the past few games, Kenyon has been able to win a set, but could not translate that into further success. On Wednesday, however, the Ladies responded in the fourth set to win 25-20, recording a match-high 13 kills. “We were able to come together and grit out a win in that set,” said Ellie Luciani ’23. 

Going into the fifth set, Luciani explained the team’s mindset was to leave everything on the floor. Regardless of the outcome of the set, the team knew this would be the last set of their season. The Ladies got off to a slow start and called a timeout down 6-2. The timeout did not seem to do much, as the Ladies gathered for another timeout a few points later. With the score now 10-3 in a winner-take-all set to 15 points, there was no room for error if the Ladies wanted to complete a comeback. However, it was not meant to be. A 5-3 run by OWU closed out the game. 

The Ladies did not qualify for the conference tournament, so this was their last game of the 2021 season. “Overall, I’m really proud of our effort and fight this season,” said Luciani. “We’ve overcome a lot and only gotten closer.”