Section: Field Hockey

Ladies secure two critical wins

Going into last weekend, the Ladies field hockey team were primed to move into second in the NCAC with wins in Indiana against DePauw University and Earlham College. The Ladies ended up seizing the opportunity, securing a pair of 2-1 wins. “This was a critical weekend for us, going 2-0 on the road with comeback wins really shows how we are able to adapt and overcome any situation thrown at us,” said forward and midfielder Sarah Metzmaier ’22.

On Saturday, the Ladies found themselves tied with DePauw University going into the fourth quarter of their game. Goalkeeper Payton Doan ’23 had kept the Tigers off the board throughout, but a goal by the Tigers put the Ladies down 1-0. However, it wasn’t long before Bella Kern ’23 responded with a goal to tie the game at one. It would stay that way for the rest of regulation. In overtime, Metzmaier ended the game quickly with a goal, giving the Ladies a win against DePauw. 

In their practices, the Ladies have been working on scoring a goal within the first two minutes of a quarter. On Saturday, that’s exactly what happened. They went down the field into the Tigers’ zone, getting a penalty corner and then setting up Metzmaier to score the game-winner. “Saturday’s goal was simply the result of everything we’ve been practicing,” Metzmaier said.

After the overtime thriller at DePauw, the Ladies traveled to Richmond, Ind. to take on Earlham College. After the Quakers scored in the eleventh minute of the game, Grace Lane ’25 scored two minutes later for her first collegiate goal. In the second quarter, Lane found the back of the net again, which proved to be the eventual game-winning goal. The team fed off of Lane’s goal, not allowing the Quakers to find the back of the net for three straight quarters. Lane’s effort in the game was rewarded with an NCAC Athlete of the Week honor.

With their win against DePauw, the Ladies moved to second in the NCAC. Currently, Kenyon is a half game back from Denison University who is 4-0 in conference play. However, Denison holds the tiebreaker over Kenyon due to the Big Red’s 3-1 win over the Ladies on Oct. 9. With only three games remaining this season, the Ladies will look to build on their momentum and continue their solid defense to catch the Big Red.

Their next game comes on Thursday when the Ladies will host Ohio Wesleyan University at 4:30 p.m. at  the Benson Bowl. As the Ladies look toward the playoffs, the team is excited to keep the momentum at a high. “This is the just beginning of what this team is capable of,” said Metzmaier.