Golf places fourth with depleted roster

Golf places fourth with depleted roster

Photo: Logan Spiess ’23 follows through on his chip shot. | COURTESY OF KENYON ATHLETICS

This past Monday, the Kenyon College golf team traveled to the Blacklick Woods Golf Course in Reynoldsburg, Ohio to compete in the Capital University Fall Classic. Despite many of the Lords’ top players not playing in the tournament, their reserves were able to secure a fourth-place finish in the contest of 12 teams. While originally slated to be a 36-hole tournament, this year’s Fall Classic was only 27 holes after conditions became too dark for the players to continue. 

The Lords finished the 27 holes with a total of 463 strokes: 306 on the first 18 holes and 157 on the final nine. Kenyon finished only four strokes behind third-place Ohio Northern University and 14 strokes behind Otterbein University, who took home the Fall Classic Title. Host team Capital University finished in second place. 

Logan Spiess ’23 led the Lords with a score of 73 on the first 18 holes and 40 on the final nine. Trailing Spiess were Griffin Ward ’24 and Ethan Shapiro ’23, who finished at 117 and 118 strokes, respectively. Rounding it out for the Lords were Garrett Thesing ’24, who finished at 120 strokes, and Graham Nash ’25, with 121 strokes. 

Kenyon will compete at Denison University’s Fall Invitational at Cumberland Trail Golf Club in Pataskala, Ohio this upcoming weekend, where they will reintroduce their regular lineup.