Section: Field Hockey

Field hockey takes over first place in NCAC

The Ladies field hockey team extended their win streak to five games this week with a pair of victories over Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU) and Oberlin College. 

On a rainy Monday afternoon in Gambier, the Ladies field hockey team took on an Ohio Wesleyan team that was looking to join the fight for the regular season NCAC championship. A goal by the Ladies in the second quarter proved to make the difference in the game. Payton Doan ’23 did not allow a goal for the  fifth time this year. The Ladies goalie gave credit to her defense, which limited the Battling Bishops to five shots on goal. “Our defensive line held off multiple attempts from OWU in the last quarter. I believe we faced 3 corners in the last 5 minutes or so, and coming out of those clean was huge,” Doan said. “I’m very proud of this team, especially the defensive line.”

On Wednesday, the Ladies hosted the winless Oberlin College at the Benson Bowl, where they defeated the Yeowomen 4-0. The first half belonged to the Ladies, who recorded three goals. The Ladies defense was once again stellar throughout the game. 

With one game remaining at The College of Wooster, the Ladies are in first place in the NCAC. The conference tournament will begin next Tuesday at a location to be determined, where the Ladies will look to earn an automatic bid for the NCAA Division III Tournament.