Section: Field Hockey

Field hockey splits four games

The Ladies field hockey team went 2-2 over the past two weeks, securing wins over NCAC foes Allegheny College and Wittenberg University, while dropping close games to the University of Lynchburg (Va.) and Denison University. Kenyon now stands at 8-4 overall, 2-1 in conference play and is third in the NCAC — right behind Denison and Earlham College (Ind.).

In the match against Allegheny on Oct. 2, the Ladies secured a resounding 2-0 victory. This victory marked the sixth victory in a row for the Ladies and was in large part due to the phenomenal play of Sarah Metzmaier ’22 and Bella Kern ’23, both of whom scored goals in the contest. The Ladies also benefited from the fantastic play of Payton Doan ’23, who saved all 10 of the Gators’ shots to register her fourth shutout of the season.

The Ladies then lost their next two matches:  a heartbreaking 2-1 overtime defeat to No. 19 Lynchburg and a 3-1 loss to Denison. 

However, on Oct. 9, the Ladies bounced back in a major way, easily handling Wittenberg for a 3-1 victory. Once again, Metzmaier and Kern led the way, with the former racking up two goals. The Ladies dominated the match on the offensive side, outshooting the Tigers 13-4 (8-3 in shots on goal).

The Ladies’ next matchup is against DePauw University on Oct. 16 at 12 p.m. in Greencastle, Ind.