BLU-RAY wins Ohio Valley tournament, SERF finishes in second

SERF

Last weekend, Kenyon’s men’s ultimate frisbee team SERF competed in the Ohio Valley Division III Conference Tournament, a tournament that determined whether  or not the team would compete at the regional event. Not only did the No. 5 seeded SERF qualify for the regional tournament, they secured a second-place finish among many extremely talented teams. SERF concluded the contest with a 5-1 record, asserting themselves as a dominant force among D-III schools. 

Saturday’s first match was against the College of Wooster, which Kenyon won 10-6 following a very rocky start. SERF then defeated Ohio Wesleyan University 13-2 in a one-sided contest. However, the competition grew tougher for SERF as the tournament continued. Kenyon’s next match against top-seeded Franciscan University was neck-and-neck until the final seconds, when team captain Michael Gleason ’22 made a timely cut across the endzone to break the 8-8 tie, and score the winning goal. The last match on Saturday was against Xavier University. Proving to be a formidable foe, Kenyon played their hearts out to secure a 9-6 victory. 

Sunday featured Kenyon’s final two matches of the tournament. The first was against Oberlin College, the only other team in the running for first place aside from Kenyon at this stage of the tournament. Despite a physical, muddy and intense match, Kenyon fell to Oberlin 9-8. Cedarville University was SERF’s final opponent of the tournament, who Kenyon beat convincingly 10-5. 

SERF will look to dominate yet again at the D-III Ohio Valley Regional Tournament on Nov. 13 and 14. 

BLU-RAY

BLU-RAY, Kenyon’s women’s ultimate frisbee team, won the Ohio Valley Division III Conference Tournament. The team came into the tournament as the bottom-seed of the four-team tournament, but in winning, were able to qualify for the regional event.

BLU-RAY’s tournament opened with a group stage, where the team finished with a 2-1 record. Their first two matches came against Cedarville University. Though Kenyon dropped the first match 12-6, the team was able to flip the script and put on a terrific performance against the Cedarville squad in round 2, winning 13-9. Their next opponent was Oberlin College, who BLU-RAY had no issue defeating. The final score was 13-4 and concluded the group stage. 

The following day, Kenyon entered the elimination phase of the tournament. First on their schedule was a rematch with Oberlin and the results were not so different from last time: BLU-RAY emerged as victors with a final score of 11-5.

Newcomer Gwyn Kelley ’25 was elated with BLU-RAY’s performance. “For a lot of people, this was their first tournament [or] first game ever played,” she said. “We had some really awesome returners who carried us through and allowed us to beat [other] teams.” 

BLU-RAY, now establishing themselves as one of Ohio’s most formidable ultimate teams, will compete again at the D-III Ohio Valley Regional tournament on Nov. 13 and 14.