Section: Football

After taking early lead, Lords fall on the road to Wittenberg

Despite a competitive, tightly fought first half, the Lords fell to intra-conference rival Wittenberg University 38-14 on Saturday. The defeat marked Kenyon’s second consecutive loss, and their 10th loss in a row to the Tigers. 

While the game was scoreless through the first quarter, the Tigers knocked in a 19-yard field goal at the start of the second. It was then Kenyon’s turn to respond; led by quarterback Ryan O’Leary ’23 and wide receiver Andrew Schnarre ’23, the Lords orchestrated a methodical drive down the field. The Lords marched down to Wittenberg’s 30-yard line, when, on third-and-10, Schnarre flexed his route-running skills, masterfully eluding his defender on a post route and catching an uncontested touchdown. 

The tide appeared to be turning in favor of the Lords; on the next possession, Jaylen Cardoso ’24 nabbed his second interception in as many weeks, giving the offense an opportunity to extend their lead. The Lords, unfortunately, went three-and-out, and on the subsequent possession, the Tigers reached the endzone on a 80-yard, nine-play drive to go up 10-7. It was all downhill for the Lords from then on. O’Leary was intercepted on the next possession, and the Tigers knocked in a field goal to give them a 17-7 halftime lead.

The Tigers came into the second half with a level of intensity and execution far beyond what the Lords could handle. Wittenberg scored a touchdown on all three of their possessions in the third quarter. Their quarterback Colin Brown was clinical and precise, and finished the contest with 310 yards passing, and four touchdown passes.

Kenyon’s lone answer came in the form of an 11-yard A.J. Allen ’22 touchdown pass to Finn Murray ’23. Allen replaced O’Leary in  the second half, finishing the game 11/24 for 166 yards and 1 TD. Kenyon’s most impressive performer in the game was Schnarre, who, despite the quarterback changes, finished with nine receptions for 153 yards and a touchdown.

One of the largest factors in the defeat was the discrepancy in the running games of the two teams. Kenyon had 51 yards rushing in the game, while Wittenberg finished with 216 yards — with two of its players, Bryce Anderson and Garrett Gross, totaling over 75 yards each.

Kenyon is now 2-5 overall on the season, and 2-4 in the NCAC. The Lords will return to action on Saturday at 1:00 p.m. against the 5-2 Wabash College Little Giants. The Lords have dropped 10 in a row against Wabash, and will attempt to break the streak on McBride Field.