Lords place eighth in competitive Transylvania Invitational

Ethan Manalo ’22 led the Lords with a 215 overall score. | COURTESY OF KENYON ATHLETICS

This past weekend, the Lords golf team traveled to Lexington, Ky. to compete in the Transylvania Invitational to begin their season. Despite a rocky start in the first round at the University Club of Kentucky, Kenyon responded with stronger play in the final two rounds. The Lords played the first two rounds on Saturday, scoring 298 in the morning and 293 in the afternoon. Ultimately, they finished in eighth place, competing in a field of 20 teams. At the end of the weekend, the Lords tallied a score of 879, with scores of 298 and 293 on Saturday and 288 on Sunday.

Ethan Manalo ’22 led the Lords, shooting a 75, 68 and 72 in the tournament, which was enough for a 12th-place tie in the field of 102. Following Manalo was Nick Lust ’22, who totaled a 221 over the course of the tournament, placing him tied for 27th. Eric Lifson ’22 and Armand Ouellette ’25 finished the tournament just behind Lust with total scores of 222, tied for 30th.  Reflecting on the day’s events, Manalo ’22 was pleased with the team’s finish. 

“Despite not finishing atop the leaderboard, we are able to take away some positives from this tournament. We hope to carry this momentum into Adrien,” he said.

The Lords will travel to Adrien College (Mich.) on Sept. 17 and 18, hoping to retain their previous title from two years ago at the two-day Irish Hills Intercollegiate Invitational.