Section: Soccer

Lords obliterate Allegheny 7-0, Ladies split two tough games


Last Saturday, the Lords matched up against Allegheny College, a longtime conference foe. Throughout the last few years, the Gators have been a relatively easy matchup for the Lords; not only has Kenyon beaten Allegheny in their last 11 games, their counterparts haven’t scored on them in nearly four years. The Lords’ dominant streak continued Saturday, as they exploited the vulnerable Allegheny defense to win 7-0.

Kenyon wasted no time reaching the back of the net, as Gerardo Martinez ’25 capitalized on Allegheny’s goalie being out of position in the fifth minute. Following an onslaught of shots from the Lords, Sebastian Brylka ’23 converted on a pass into the box during the 36th minute, concluding the Lords’ half.

Unfortunately for the Gators, Kenyon was not finished. The first of five second-half goals came in the 52nd minute, when Mac Nardiello-Smith ’23 slotted it past Allegheny goalie Jack Baron-Sluga. Just four minutes later, Sebastian Gaese ’23 used his height to head the ball into the back of the net, which was followed by a tap-in goal, courtesy of Johan Johannsson ’23, in the 57th. Alem Duratovic ’25 was Kenyon’s next scorer, when his shot rolled straight past the Gators’ defense in the 70th minute. Three minutes later, Atli Hrafnkelsson ’23 scored the game’s final goal.

The Lords will find themselves in the thick of the action once again this Friday, Oct. 1 when they face Wittenberg University at 7:45 p.m. Kenyon will look to extend their winning streak to eight, and again prove the team is a formidable contender for a national championship. 




Last Saturday, the Ladies’ first conference match of the season was a grand success, winning 4-1 against Allegheny College. Their next match, though, ended in a hard-fought 1-0 defeat against Wilmington College. The results of these two matches leave the Ladies with a 4-6 record on the season. 

Just minutes after the kickoff against the Gators, Kenyon’s Olivia Carriero ’23 chipped the ball into the back of the net after a tussle inside the box. At the 32nd-minute mark, Olivia Dion ’22 sent a beautiful cross right to the foot of Lara O’Callaghan ’23, which O’Callaghan converted into the Ladies’ second goal. Kenyon’s last two goals came in quick succession in the 51st and 53rd minutes. The first came from Samantha Hayes ’22, who took advantage of a defender deflection, and the second from ​​Sadie Gould ’24, who found the net just minutes later. 

Following a decisive victory, the Ladies’ loss against Wilmington was a heartbreaker. In the first match between the two teams since 2013, Kenyon played rather well despite the final score sheet — with seven shots on goal compared to the Quakers’ four. Unfortunately, none of Kenyon’s attempts converted, and an early goal by Heidi Edens gave Wilmington the lead until the sound of the final whistle. 

The Ladies’ next match will be at Wittenberg University this Saturday, Oct. 2. They hope to secure another conference victory and bounce back from their loss.


Comments for this article have closed. If you'd like to send a letter to the editor for publication, please email us at