Lords, Ladies impress on the road after each securing a win

Jacob Lazarus ’25 passes to a teammate in the draw against Hanover. | SEJIN KIM/KENYON SID/NCAA

Lords

After a highly contested season opener against John Carroll University (JCU) which ultimately ended in defeat, the Kenyon men’s soccer team found themselves in the thick of back-to-back away games: first against Hanover College (Ind.) and then Transylvania University (Ky.).

In Indiana, Kenyon played a marathon of a match against Hanover. After two fierce overtime periods, the match ended in a 1-1 draw. The Panthers scored their only goal in the 30th minute. Kenyon did not respond until the second half, when, following a hard foul in the box, Jacob Lazarus ’25 converted a penalty kick in the 66th minute. 

Similarly to their outing against JCU, Kenyon’s total shot attempts (17) were notably higher than that of Hanover’s (12). Yet the Panthers’ defense and goaltending were superb, leading to the stalemate.

Their next match brought the team to Lexington, Ky., where they faced Transylvania University. The Lords and Pioneers’ last match was in the 2017 NCAA tournament, when Kenyon defeated them 1-0. The Lords continued this trend by securing a dominant 3-1 win. 

Kenyon’s first goal came in the 16th minute from forward Mac Nardiello-Smith ’23, which the Pioneers answered in the 19th minute with a goal of their own. The scoresheet remained unchanged until the 50th minute, when Sebastian Gaese ’23 put the ball in the back of the net, promptly followed by teammate Eamon Dujakovich’s ’25 dagger in the 69th minute to give the Lords a 3-1 victory. Kenyon ended with an astounding 23 shots and Transylvania a mere five. 

Now back at home, the Lords will hit the turf on Sept. 10, when they will face Grove City College (Pa.). After an important victory last weekend, they hope to maintain that momentum and secure another early-season victory. 

Ladies

In the thick of a six-game homestand, the Ladies looked to rekindle their winning momentum after a 3-0 loss against Hanover College (Ind.) in their season opener. Alma College (Mich.) and George Fox University (Ore.) were in Kenyon’s path. 

Before Friday, Alma College had beaten Kenyon in both of their previous matchups. The Ladies snapped that losing streak with a terrific 3-0 victory against the Scotties, fueled by a dominant second half. 

In the 42nd minute, Morgan Baker ’25 put the ball in the top of the net to give Kenyon a lead heading into halftime. After the break, Olivia Carriero ’23 found the goal in the 52nd minute, following an impressive run from teammate Olivia Dion ’22. Only 10 minutes later, Sadie Gould ’24 scored the Ladies’ third goal.

While this victory was a major stepping stone for getting the Ladies’ season back on track, the win had an even deeper significance: After 19 seasons at Kenyon, this was Soccer Coach Kelly Bryan’s 150th win. 

Kenyon’s next match was against George Fox University (GFU) just one day later. This was the Ladies’ first time competing against the Bruins, who ended up winning the contest 2-1. 

Initially, things were bright for the Ladies after Olivia Dion ’22 capitalized on a GFU defensive error and found the net in the sixth minute. Unfortunately, the Bruins’ offensive barrage led to a goal in the 33rd minute, tying the game up at the half. Kenyon ultimately scored an own goal in the 87th minute that would seal the game. 

The Ladies will face Calvin College (Mich.) at 5:15 p.m. on Sept. 10 in Gambier. Now 1-2, they hope to work towards a winning record before their homestand ends.