Lords and Ladies struggle at home in first match since 2019

Lords

The Kenyon men’s soccer team competed in their first match since November 2019, which was a loss to Montclair State University (N.J.) in the third round of the NCAA tournament. The Lords drew a packed crowd to Mavec Field on Tuesday night; over 250 people showed up to watch the game.

Their opponent, John Carroll University (JCU), was a daunting foe; JCU was ranked No. 20 in the preseason among NCAA Division III teams, and has had consistent success against the Lords. The Lords have lost four of their past five matches against the Lobos, with their only victory coming in a 2-0 victory in 2018 at Mavec Field.

Unfortunately for Kenyon, John Carroll added another victory to their resume against the home team; the Lobos prevailed in a scrappy, closely contested 2-1 match. The visitors scored the first two goals of the matchup, first in the 14th minute and again in the 42nd. The Lords attempted to claw their way back with a goal by 5-foot-9-inch forward Eamon Dujakovich ’25 in the 70th minute, but were not able to convert in the final 20 minutes, losing 2-1.

Although the Lords lost the matchup, statistically, they had an impressive outing: They had nine shots to the Lobos’ six, and six corner kicks to the Lobos’ zero.

The Lords’ next matchup is against Hanover College (Ind.) on Saturday, Sept. 4 at 2:00 p.m. They will look to bounce back and earn their first victory of the season.

Ladies

The Kenyon women’s soccer team is officially back. In their first game since November 2019, the Ladies hosted the Hanover College Panthers (Ind.) at Mavec Field on Tuesday.

The Ladies, historically, have struggled against Hanover, recording a disapointing 1-3 record against the Panthers in their last four matchups. The Ladies’ last win against the Panthers occurred on Sept. 17, 2011, when they emerged victorious with a 2-0 win on the road.

Unfortunately for the Ladies and the crowd of 55 that made their way down to the pitch, Kenyon was not able to find any offensive momentum throughout the 90 minutes, and eventually lost 3-0. Hanover was able to press the Ladies early and often; all three of their goals came within the first 30 minutes of the match. The Panthers were led by forward Maggie Day, who scored the first two goals of the match. The third was tacked on in the 28th minute by midfielder Jostin Reeves.

Although they were not able to win the match, there were still some impressive performances from the Ladies; Talula Sheridan ’25 and Sadie Gould ’24 accumulated two shots — and one shot on goal — each. Goalkeeper Leah Anderson ’23, who subbed on for the final 45 minutes, saved six shots, allowing no goals.

Kenyon’s next match is at home on Friday, Sept. 3 at 5:00 p.m. against Alma College (Mich.). A win against the Scots would put the Ladies in familiar territory at 1-1, as they have not begun a season 0-2 since 2017.