Section: Field Hockey

Ladies rack up two convincing victories in dominant efforts

Bella Kern ’23 won NCAC Field Hockey Player of the Week, accounting for three goals in the Ladies’ past three games. | COURTESY OF KENYON ATHLETICS

Fresh off of a victory, the Ladies looked to extend their 14-game winning streak against Oberlin College and remain unbeaten against Transylvania University (Ky.). The team did so convincingly, winning both games in shutouts. 

The Ladies headed to Oberlin to play their first match this week. In a dominant 2-0 victory, Kenyon took 21 shots on goal and held the Yeowomen to a mere two. The Ladies first scored in the 22nd minute, when Sarah Metzmaier ’22 converted on a pass from midfield. In the next quarter, Bella Kern ’23 exemplified her scoring prowess, finding the back of the net in the 34th minute. 

In a thrilling home game just days later, the Ladies beat Transylvania 5-0. Things kicked off quickly with Emma Hyer ’22 scoring in just the second minute. Fifteen minutes later,  Metzmaier added a goal of her own; she was later joined by Kern, whose strike flew past the goalkeeper in the 24th minute. Following halftime, the Ladies pressed on and scored in the 35th and 53rd minutes off of strikes by Carolyn Herbosa ’23 and Jacqueline McKeown ’23, respectively.

After multiple terrific performances, Kern was named NCAC Field Hockey Player of the Week. Kern scored a goal in each of the past three games for the Ladies, and has been instrumental to the Ladies’ 4-2 record this season. 

On Sept. 26, the team will gear up again for a home match against DePauw University (Ind.), where they hope to build on their momentum  as the season progresses.