Kenyon volleyball stumbles, then rebounds to a 1-2 record

Ellie Luciani ’23 bumps the ball in Kenyon’s lone win against Washington & Jefferson College. | COURTESY OF KENYON ATHLETICS

In their first match of the season, the Ladies volleyball team faced a tough test in Bluffton University, losing on the road to the Beavers in straight sets. Kenyon lacked chemistry throughout the match, producing 20 errors in three sets.

The Ladies rallied back to win their next match in Marietta, Ohio on Friday night at the BSN River City Classic, when they faced Washington & Jefferson College. Kenyon prevailed in five sets, winning the fifth set in dominant fashion, 15-8. Macy Reimbold ’23 led the Ladies’ offense with 19 kills. “We never gave up and came back to win the match in five sets, showing a lot of perseverance,” said Reimbold.

The Ladies were supposed to play two matches on Saturday at the BSN River City Classic, but their match against Franciscan University was cancelled due to COVID issues among the Franciscan program. This left the Ladies with only a match against the host Marietta College. 

Kenyon fell in straight sets to the Pioneers, losing close battles in all three sets (20-25, 24-26 and 22-25). “One area for improvement is just having the determination and mindset to get the last few points that we came up short on,” Reimbold said.

The team will look to bounce back on Friday when they travel to Sandusky, Ohio for the NCAC/MIAA Battle at the Point. The Ladies will return to Gambier next Tuesday to  face Otterbein University.