No. 12 Ladies tennis upsets No. 5 Carnegie Mellon

Ladies 

The 12th-ranked Kenyon women’s tennis team completed an outstanding season with a win against No. 5 Carnegie Mellon University on Sunday. 

With competition limited to only three courts, the match lasted a grueling seven hours. NCAC player of the week Victoria Vasquez ’24 and her partner Ilana Blackwood ’21 crushed their doubles opponents, contributing to the upset. The match was tight throughout the day, and came to a head in a final tie-breaking singles matchup between Kenyon’s Anna Winslow ’22 and Carnegie Mellon’s Alex Lordache. After trading sets, the pair tied in the third set and then went to another tiebreak. Fortunately, Winslow was able to outlast her competitor, allowing the Ladies to take home the upset and clinch an undefeated regular season. The 7-0 Ladies will compete Saturday for the NCAC title on the road against DePauw University, before looking ahead to the upcoming NCAA tournament. 

Lords

The Lords split their last two matches of the season this past week, dominating Allegheny College 9-0 on Saturday before falling to 15th-ranked Carnegie Mellon University. In their final conference match, Kenyon was in control from the start against the Gators, winning all three contests in doubles play. Angelo Vidal ’22 and Evan Dean ’23 combined for a strong 8-1 victory, while the pairings of Luis Andres Platas ’23 and Thomas Kallarakal ’23, and Aidan Biglow ’23 and Jacob Smith ’23, added wins. The Lords didn’t miss a beat in singles, with Kallarakal and Smith combining to drop just one game. 

The trip to Carnegie Mellon was more of a struggle for Kenyon. The Lords battled hard against a very difficult opponent, but ultimately fell 5-3. Two wins from the doubles circuit gave Kenyon an early lead. No. 1 doubles team Andres Platas and Kallarakal won 8-5, while Jack Wagner ’22 and Harshal Rukhaiyar ’23 added another 8-5 victory over their Tartans opponents. However, Carnegie Mellon took over in singles play, winning four of five matches to take the 5-3 victory. 

This marks the end of an up-and-down season for the Lords, who were ranked 15th nationally coming into the season, but finished 3-4 overall.