Lords fall short in NCAC championship, finishing eighth

Nick Lust ’22 follows through on an iron shot. He finished with an 81. | COURTESY OF KENYON ATHLETICS

This past weekend, the Lords golf team finished their season with a disappointing showing at the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) tournament, placing eighth out of 10 teams.

Despite being in third after the first round of the tournament, the Lords struggled at Westbrook Country Club, recording a combined round of 342. In contrast, the Lords shot a 306 in the first round at Denison Golf Club a week prior. The change of venue was certainly a determining factor in the Lords’ struggles, as the rest of the field also finished with inflated  scores.

“The greens were extremely fast and were pretty undulated. It was something we had yet to see this year,” said Ethan Manalo ’22. “On top of that, the pin locations were true championship placements.” Indeed, Manalo and his teammates were unable to find any rhythm, struggling  through tough course conditions.

Leading the Lords on Saturday was Nick Lust ’22, who finished with a round of 81, with Manalo trailing him by only one shot. Ethan Shapiro ’23 recorded a 90 and fellow sophomore Logan Spiess ’23 was right behind him with a 92. Lawrence Courtney ’21 carded an 89 in his final showing for Kenyon golf.

One silver lining to the finale of the Lords’ season was Courtney taking home the Dick Gordin Player of the Year Award, making him the second ever Lord to win such honors. Courtney and Lust both finished their season with All-NCAC honorable mentions.