Lords struggle to find rhythm, losing three of four

Despite a strong defensive showing, Kenyon baseball struggled to find their bats in last Thursday’s doubleheader against the Allegheny College Gators, falling 4-0 and 3-1. 

Having played more than twice as many games as the Lords this season, the Gators headed into Thursday’s games with a 9-4 record, while the Lords entered the contest at 3-3, largely due to the College’s most recent quiet period.

Although pitcher Sam Richards ’23 worked his way into trouble early in game one, giving up a leadoff double, a diving catch from left fielder Kyle Dwyer ’23 helped the Lords escape the inning with only one run allowed. 

In the second and third innings, Richards, who went on to pitch a complete game, found his rhythm; the Lords’ lineup, however, did not. Throughout the game, the Lords left runners stranded on base, most significantly in the bottom of the seventh when, after Will Sturgeon ’22 loaded the bases with a single up the middle, Ryan Page ’21 struck out to end the game. The Gators took the game 4-0. 

Patrick Craig ’21 started game two on the mound for the Lords. After Craig earned his first of five strikeouts on the day in the top of the first, Sturgeon hit his team-leading third home run in the bottom of the frame. Though the blast seemed to give the Lords some much-needed energy, the team struggled to generate any offense, failing to score again for the rest of the game, losing 3-1. The Lords completed last Thursday’s doubleheader having left 10 runners on base. 

Yesterday, however, the Lords bounced back and beat the nationally ranked College of Wooster, 5-2. After Wooster scored on an error in the top of the first, catcher Andrew Rabinowitz ’22 homered to left center, putting the Lords ahead 2-1. Rabinowitz would knock in three of the Lords’ five runs. Jake Brown ’21 hit an RBI single in the sixth to provide a key insurance run. Ayden Head ’23 pitched six-and-a-third dominant innings, striking out seven and only allowing two hits. 

The second game was not as successful. Joel Biery ’22, who traditionally pitches in relief for the Lords, started the game. He pitched two strong innings before letting in one run in the third. However, the floodgates opened in the fourth inning when, after Biery walked in two runs, Jake Davidson ’23 took over on the mound. Unfortunately, Davidson fared even worse; he proceeded to walk in three more runs. Despite some momentum in the bottom half of the inning, with J.J. Conway ’22 driving in Brown, it wasn’t enough to put the Lords over the top. They ended the game 9-2, having allowed nine runs on just six hits. 

The Lords will look to build on their momentum this weekend when they play in a doubleheader against Hiram College.