Lords and Ladies compete in only meet of 2020-2021 season

Kenyon’s track and field teams competed in their first and final competition of the season at the Wittenberg University Quad on Sunday, where athletes faced off against the host school, Albion College and Case Western Reserve University.

The Lords were led by Angus Soderberg ’22, who finished runner-up in the 400-meter dash with a blistering time of 50.46 seconds and seventh in the 200-meter race. Other notable finishers included Ifeatu Menakaya ’21, who completed his Kenyon track career with a third-place finish in shot put. Long distance runner Jeremy Baier ’22 finished fourth place in the 5,000-meter, while sprinter Ben Weiner ’23 finished with a strong seventh-place result in the 100-meter dash. 

The Ladies performed slightly better, finishing the meet with two individual wins and a number of strong results. High jumper Anna Barret ’23 claimed the top spot on the podium with a winning jump of 4 feet, 9 ¾ inches. Davida Harris ’22 won the 800-meter with a lightning-fast time of 2:37, earning a new personal best by a full 2 ½ seconds. Elsewhere, Kenyon claimed another podium position, as Grace Neuger ’24 finished second place in the 100-meter hurdles, with Erika Conant ’23 coming in just behind her. Three sophomores, Denna Medrano, Mary Shawaker and Ella Wilson, all logged points for the Ladies, finishing fourth in the 200-meter, fifth in the 400-meter and sixth in the 5,000-meter, respectively.

Despite the strong individual performances, both Kenyon teams finished poorly in the overall team rankings.The Lords finished last on the board, losing by a 40-point deficit to No. 3 Wittenberg University. The Ladies fared slightly better, losing to third place Wittenberg by only 31 points.

Kenyon will see a combined nine athletes depart, with four Lords and five Ladies graduating. The teams will bid farewell to: Camille Baxter ’21, Hannah Haynes ’21, Elise Hokanson ’21, Duffy Lemire ’21, Eleanor Tetreault ’21, Steven Lucas ’21, Ifeatu Menakaya ’21, Kendall Powell ’21 and Frank Zhao ’21.