Section: Lacrosse

Ladies struggle against Wooster and Allegheny, going 0-3 this week

Kenyon Ladies lacrosse competed last week for the first time since March 2020. 

On April 14, the Ladies hosted the College of Wooster. After a rough beginning, Maya Fair ’23 and Tatumn Eccleston ’23 each scored goals to close the gap. Just after halftime, Caroline O’Neil ’23 started a three-goal run. Ella Murphy ’23 and Fair continued the attack but, despite the Ladies’ efforts, Wooster won the game 15-11. 

At Wooster on April 17, the Ladies’ rematch with the Fighting Scots ended in an 18-12 defeat. Despite a strong opposing defense, Fair scored quickly on an Eccleston assist. Brett Bearrows ’22 and Alex Tiatia ’24 added to the Kenyon goal tally, and the Ladies were helped by 15 saves from Delaney Gallagher ’23. However, in the end, Wooster’s strong defense and multi-goal runs secured their advancement to the NCAC championship.

Julia Losey ’23 believes that the Ladies found confidence in both big and small successes. “Everyone on the team brings something to each game,” she said. “The one thing that has been phenomenal has been our transition to attack. Everyone works hard getting the ball up the field quickly, getting open for a defender or midfielder, and creating lanes for those running with the ball to continue.”

In their third game of the week, the Ladies traveled to Pennsylvania to battle Allegheny College on April 20. The Gators led after the first half, but with scores from Losey and Murphy, Kenyon evened the game at 6. After two Gator goals and one from Tiatia, Allegheny led 8-7 at halftime. In the second half, with the score sitting at 10-9, the Gators had a key four-goal run. Despite two more goals from Emma Hutchison ’23 and Kate Lengel ’24, Kenyon fell 14-11.

Losey adds that in the future, the team would like to pay particular attention to scoring with each possession. “Since we work so hard getting up the field, we want to capitalize on that and score a goal to meet that hard work.”

The Ladies’ last game in the 2020-21 season will take place against the Gators this Saturday, April 24, at 1:00 p.m. at the Benson Bowl. They will celebrate Julia Mahoney ’21, Molly Keen ’21 and Lillian Harding-Rieder ’21 at the game’s senior recognition ceremony.