Women’s lacrosse team makes adjustments for spring season

Saturday, March 27, 2021 will be the first time in over a year that the Ladies lacrosse team has played, due to last year’s season being cut short with the onset of the pandemic. The Ladies have nine games scheduled this year, against three opponents: Allegheny College, Denison University and the College of Wooster. 

In years past, winning has been what typically defines the outcome of a season, but this year the goal will be slightly different. “A marker of a successful season is, first off, staying safe. If we can get to play all of our games, that would be amazing,” midfielder Alex Tiatia ’24 said.

This year, the Ladies have a large group of returning players. Kenyon will be relying on these veteran players, as they will be without 10 of their 12 first years. Additionally, the team has one preferred walk-on who will be joining the Ladies in order to make up for the lack of roster depth. 

Returning players are experimenting with different positions. Casey Leach ’22, who normally plays defense, has been practicing at the attack position, while captain and typical attacker Caroline O’Neal ’23 has done the opposite. The Ladies are keeping their game plan simple, so that defenders can play offense and attackers can play defense, according to O’Neal. 

Along with the simplified schemes, the Ladies are hopeful that their strong team chemistry will ease the adjustment to their new positions. Their transition game will be one aspect that benefits from that chemistry. Their defensive should be solid as well, with all three goalies returning and the defense going on four years of playing together. 

In a normal season, the athletes would be practicing year-round, so conditioning would not be an issue. However, due to some athletes being off campus last semester and the long break in January, some lacrosse players are struggling to get back into game form. “One of the main focuses has been getting that hidden [conditioning] in while we are doing lacrosse-related drills,” attacker Julia Mahoney ’21 said

The Ladies are hopeful they will have enough time to get in game-ready shape before their first game on March 27 against the College of Wooster. The game against Wooster will serve as Senior Day. “When I step on the field March 27 for my senior game, I will truly be grateful,” said Mahoney.