Section: Lacrosse

Lords lacrosse wins first game against Wittenberg, 14-12

The Kenyon Lords lacrosse team started off their spring 2021 campaign with a victory over the Wittenberg University Tigers on Saturday, extending their win streak over Wittenberg to three games. 

The Tigers got off to a hot start, putting the Lords in a 3-0 hole early in the first quarter. Kenyon responded well to the three-goal deficit, pulling within one goal after the first quarter. Both teams were neck and neck until the middle of the third quarter, when the Lords went on a 5-0 unanswered run to put the squad up 13-9. Wittenberg did not have enough firepower to bounce back, and the Lords won, 14-12. Captain Graham O’Brien ’23 said it was a “battle on both sides of the ball” as both teams notched 40 shots and had similar turnover totals.

The team was led by Jack Giuffre ’23, who scored four goals, and Weston Powell ’22, who added three of his own. “Our coaches prepared us incredibly well and we owe much of our win to them,” O’Brien said. 

The Lords are grateful to the Kenyon community members who allowed this season to take place. After a year of uncertainty regarding the possibility of a season, finally getting out onto the field was a huge milestone. They will look to continue this hot start next Saturday in a home conference bout against Ohio Wesleyan University.