NCAC cancels intercollegiate competition for winter season

Kenyon’s Swim and Dive teams are among those who will not compete this winter. | COLLEGIAN ARCHIVES

Kenyon’s Department of Athletics announced on Friday that all intercollegiate play for the winter sports season — including basketball, swimming and diving and indoor track and field — will be cancelled. This decision was made in coordination with the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC).  

“The NCAC Presidents’ Council has decided unanimously, though with great reluctance, to cancel conference play, including conference championships, for the winter season,” the NCAC’s Friday statement read

The conference explained that the delayed start to many conference members’ spring semesters made the season seem infeasible. “The NCAC will continue to explore all options and plan for a safe return to intercollegiate competition, with the health and well-being of students, faculty, staff, and our broader communities our foremost concern.”

Kenyon’s Director of Athletics, Fitness and Recreation Jill McCartney emphasized the level of consideration put into the NCAC’s vote. “This decision was not easy, nor was it made lightly,” she said. “The risks posed by travel and game play, and the uncertainty of the pandemic’s course, are too high, and we must prioritize the health and safety of our student-athletes, coaches, staff and community.” 

As of now, Kenyon has not made a decision regarding the spring sports season or the proposed move of the fall sports schedule to the spring. McCartney stated that the College will continue to follow a “wait and see” strategy, abiding by local, state and federal regulations. 

During the College’s current quiet period, all athletic team practices are suspended. Likewise, the Kenyon Athletic Center will be closed for fitness, recreation and scheduled athletics tours during this period. For more information on Kenyon’s COVID-19 protocols, please visit the Keeping Our Kenyon Community Safe section of the Kenyon Athletics website and the NCAC’s list of Frequently Asked Questions.