Lords fall to Wooster, Ladies win on thrilling buzzer-beater

Right: Katie Orefice ’23 dribbles towards the rim. | SEJIN KIM/KENYON SID/NCAA AND CAMERON PETERS

Womens:

The competition between the Kenyon Ladies basketball team and the College of Wooster’s Fighting Scots saw a head-to-head matchup between two North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) greats in a game in which the Ladies ultimately took the win, 77-74.

The Ladies, lead by star guard Paige Matijasich ’20, shot 56 percent from the field, capped off by a game-winning 3-pointer from Matijasich as time ran out.

The offensive firepower demonstrated by the Ladies helped them overcome difficulties stopping Wooster’s own explosive offense, led by the formidable center Maria Janasko.

The battle between Janasko and Matijasich was as close as the game itself: Both players scored 27 points and, while Janasko outrebounded Matijasich 7-6, Matijasich’s stat line included three crucial assists. One assist went to Ellie Schaub ’21 as part of a 9-0 run by Kenyon in the middle of the fourth quarter. This cut Wooster’s lead from 10 points to one.

Matijasich, who is currently averaging 18.2 points per game, continued her offensive onslaught last night. Also contributing to the scoring effort last night were Madelyn Anderson ’22, who scored 10 points, and Amanda Carroll ’22, who added in 13.

Ultimately, it was Kenyon’s remarkable 25-point fourth quarter that made the difference. In the final 10 minutes, they outscored the Scots by 10, capitalizing on Wooster’s late-game turnovers and missed shots.

These 77 points mark the second highest scoring total for the Ladies this season, after they scored 78 in a double-overtime loss to Hiram College a couple of weeks ago. For a team that is currently averaging 56.6 points per game, last night’s match demonstrated what can happen when the Ladies can fire on all cylinders offensively. The Ladies now sit at 8-13 overall and 5-8 in conference play. Their next match will be a rematch against Hiram College next Wednesday.

Mens:

On Wednesday, the Lords basketball team was unable to snap its three-game losing streak against the College of Wooster Scots in a 76-57 defeat. They have now lost 10 out of their last 11 games. Danyon Hempy led the way for the Fighting Scots, finishing with 38 points on 13 of 22 shooting overall, and five of seven on 3-pointers.

Kenyon got off to a slow start, as Wooster built a 32-13 lead with four minutes remaining in the first half. By the end of the first period, the Fighting Scots had doubled the Lords’ points total, holding a 36-18 advantage.

The second half was much more closely contested, but the Lords were unable to overcome their shooting woes. They shot 22 of 64 (34 percent) from the field, which included 38 attempts from beyond the arc. Wooster was able to build their big lead due in large part to their aggressiveness on the offensive end.

They attacked the rim constantly, scoring 30 points in the paint. Kenyon also drew a lot of contact as a result of their frequent penetration, prompting an excessive 14 fouls and 21 shots from the charity stripe.

The Lords, on the other hand, had just two free throw attempts the entire game. Kenyon’s recklessness did not help the cause, as the team recorded 14 turnovers.

There were some bright sides for the purple and black: Carter Powell ’20 earned a double-double with 15 points and 10 rebounds, while also recording six assists.

Kamal Aubakirov ’22 also contributed 15 points, and Ryan O’Neil ’20 added seven assists.

Kenyon will look to rebound from their tough stretch this Saturday at home against Wittenberg University at 2 p.m.