Lords and Ladies dominate rival Tigers, remain undefeated

Daria Beshentseva ’22 follows through on a backhand. | COURTESY OF KENYON COLLEGE ATHLETICS

Ladies:

On Sunday, the Ladies tennis team earned a 9-0 victory against DePauw University in Greencastle, Ind., improving to 2-0 on the season. 14th-ranked Kenyon did not drop a single set in any match, utterly dominating the 38th-ranked Tigers.

In singles, the Ladies were especially formidable. Daria Beshentseva ’22 made easy work of her opponent Meredith Breda, winning 6-0, 6-0 in the No. 2 slot. At No. 1, Erika Oku ’21 was equally excellent, beating Amanda Showalter 6-1, 6-1. Ilana Blackwood ’21, Kayla Pukys ’21, Anna Winslow ’22 and Megan Collins ’20 also added straight-set victories, giving the Ladies a commanding 6-0 lead heading into doubles play.

The Tigers put up a tougher fight in the doubles category, but were still unable to steal a win from the visitors. Blackwood and Winslow outlasted their opponents Erin Friederich and Showalter in a hard-fought 8-6 win at No. 2.

Beshentseva and Oku also prevailed in the No. 1 slot, 8-4, in a slightly less difficult match. Then, Erika Pontillo ’23 and Pukys completed a 9-0 sweep with their win over Lily Cameron and Grace Haigh.

Kenyon will now have a month off before their next matchup against Carnegie Mellon University (Pa.) on March 8 in Orlando, Fla., the first of their five spring break matches in the Sunshine State. Maintaining their win streak will not be easy, as Carnegie Mellon is currently ranked seventh in NCAA Division III.

Lords:

The Kenyon men’s tennis team once again proved why they are ranked 11th nationally after resounding victories over their two NCAC foes, the DePauw University Tigers and the Wabash College Little Giants, this past weekend.

Kenyon dominated the DePauw Tigers with an 8-1 win, and then followed up with a 9-0 sweep of the Wabash Little Giants.

Kenyon dominated all of their singles matches against DePauw, with victories notched by Jacob Zalenski ’20, Austin Diehl ’20, Pascal Lee ’22, Luis Andres Platas ’23, Bryan Yoshino ’21 and Thomas Kallarakal ’23.

The Lords secured two doubles victories against the Tigers, with seniors Zalenski and Diehl teaming up to win by a score of 8-5; Evan Dean ’23 and Yoshino also won their match with a final score of 8-4.

Yoshino and Dean went on to win by a wider margin in their doubles match against the Little Giants, blanking their opponents 8-0.

The Lords were also boosted in singles by both newcomers and experienced players: Angelo Vidal ’22, Luis Arturo Platas ’20, Matias Mauviel ’21, Jacob Smith ’23 and Aidan Bigelow ’23 all contributed to Kenyon’s success. The Lords dropped only a single game throughout all of their matches.

With these two wins, the Lords have improved to 3-0 on the year. They will look to extend their unbeaten start and ascend both the regional and national rankings when they face off against Kalamazoo College (Mich.) on Feb. 16.